30,000 mile service, is it needed

I have a 2008 scion xb with 32,000 miles on it and I was just informed, by the dealer, that it is due for a 30,000 mile service at a cost of $400.00. Is this really needed?? And can it be done cheaper somewhere else??

Is it needed? Only if you want to keep the warranty coverage in effect.

If you are willing to kiss your warranty coverage goodbye, then feel free to forego this maintenance that is required for your warranty coverage. And, bear in mind that future repairs are much more likely for those who don’t maintain their vehicle.

Can it be done cheaper? Most likely you can have this done more cheaply at an independent mechanic’s shop. If you value your car, don’t go to Jiffy Lube or any of its clones or to Midas, Meineke, Monro, Sears, Discount Tire, or any other chain operation. However, no matter where you go, I would urge you to have it done soon, as delaying the required 30k maintenance any further could also void your warranty coverage.

What VDC said - only thing I’d add is for you to go through the manual and make a list of what Toyota wants you to do. Dealers and mechanics sometimes come up with their own lists, containing unneeded items.

Only a fraction of the items on the list are essential for warranty fulfillment. Choosing not to rotate the tires, for example, cannot possibly void coverage of the engine or the cooling system.

Yes, it can be done cheaper elsewhere. Any independent mechanic can handle the basic services. You must also decide for yourself which services you want and which ones you choose to forgo. We can advise if you are unsure. Be sure to save your receipts.

You make a good point, but on an AWD vehicle failure to rotate tires would likely void warranty coverage on the differential(s) and possibly other parts of the drive system.

The OP’s vehicle is FWD, so tire rotation is not critical, but I hope that people with AWD vehicles don’t follow your line of reasoning by deciding to not rotate their tires.

Is it needed? Only if you want to keep the warranty coverage in effect.

Which manufacturer requires that??

None that I know of. I’ll admit that certain things are REQUIRED to keep your warrantly…like oil changes…but the 30k checkup is NOT one of them. Sure they may do an oil change and possibly a tranny fluid change. As long as those are done within the recommened interval you’re fine. But the other stuff that this $400 service is calling for in no way will void the warranty if not preformed.

All that is needed is what is published in the owner’s manual. Anything in addition may be nice, but not needed. I might add that unless the dealer is providing it for free, there is no need to go to the dealer and pay their high prices when your local independent mechanic can do it and likely will charge far less.

That’s a good price. Pay the people or have it done somewhere else. Part of owning a car is getting this service done.

Mike–I beg to differ with you.

Please allow me to quote from the warranty booklet for my 2002 Outback H-6 3.0:

Your Maintenance Responsibilities
"It is your responsibility to have all scheduled inspection and maintenance services performed at the times and mileages recommended at the back of this booklet and to retain proof that inspection and maintenance procedures are performed when recommended…You are also responsible for checking such items as fluid levels and tire pressures regularly."

If we take the 30k scheduled maintenance as an example, this requires the following:
Oil/filter change
Coolant change
Air cleaner change
Brake fluid change
Tire rotation
Inspection of belts
Inspection of transmission and differential fluid levels
Inspection of brake pads and rotors
Inspection of axle boots
Inspection of brake lines and parking brake operation

Being a bug on maintenance, I went further and had the transmission fluid and differential oil changed as well at 30k, as well as at 60k, and 90k.

I don’t think that Subaru is unique in stating that these procedures are required for warranty coverage, and I think that if you check the details in your warranty booklet, you will find something similar, no matter what make of vehicle. And, if you are suggesting that people skip the service procedures listed in their maintenance schedule, I don’t think that you are doing them any favors.

Take a few moments to read the details in your warranty booklet and I am quite sure that you will be surprised by what you read.

Out of curiosity I googled it http://www.scion.com/assets/pdf/xB_maintenance/maintenanceguide_08.pdf and found this:

30,000 Miles or 36 months
___ Replace cabin air filter
___ Replace engine air filter
___ Replace engine oil and oil filter 1
___ Rotate tires

___ Inspect the following:
_ Ball joints and dust covers
_ Brake lines and hoses
_ Brake linings/drums and
brake pads/discs 4
_ Drive shaft boots
_ Engine coolant 3
_ Exhaust pipes and mountings
_ Front differential oil
_ Fuel lines and connections, fuel
tank band and fuel tank vapor
vent system hoses
_ Fuel tank cap gasket
_ Radiator and condenser
_ Steering gear box
_ Steering linkage and boots
_ Transmission fluid or oil

The checks are well worth it of all those items. However the price you were given to replace the first four items is steep IMHO. Find an independent shop and get a price to do the first four items and then ask for additional checks.

I have a feeling some fluids are changed instead of inspected. This is what happens with my Subaru WRX with its differentials and manual transmission. However I don’t really pay out of pocket for the service so don’t care.

For Mike/VDC:

Scion will not deny a warranty claim solely because you don?t have records to show
that you maintained your vehicle. However, damage or failures caused by lack of
proper maintenance are not covered under warranty.

First off…NOTHING says the DEALER has to to any inspection. If YOU inspect the hoses/belts/fluids…that satisfies the warranty requirements.

I also stated that certain fluids need to be changed to keep the warranty…BUT they don’t have to changed by the dealer.

Coolant at 30k?? Who requires that now. Every manufacturer I know of is requiring a 5yr/100k interval change.

Hopefully you had your tires rotated LONG before the 30k interval. In fact several times by then.

I have read the warranty book and NO WHERE does it state that the 30k service MUST be performed to keep the warranty. $400 for a couple of the REQUIRED services above is OUTRAGEOUS. DEALER SCAM.

Nor did I state that the service had to be performed by the dealership, and in fact, I stated that this service could likely be performed for less money by an independent mechanic! Read my earlier post again for verification of exactly what I stated.

In my case, maintenance costs are not really an issue because I use my Subaru credit card for virtually all of my purchases, and I receive vouchers in exchange. Submitting some vouchers for my recent 90k service left me with a total cost of…$35.00 if I recall correctly. Not bad, I would say.

Newer vehicles may indeed have a 5 yr./100k interval for coolant change. I was merely quoting the information from my car’s 30k service requirements, just as I was quoting the the information titled, “Your Maintenance Responsibilities” from my car’s warranty booklet.

I rotate my tires every 7,500 miles, as per the maintenance schedule, and what I quoted was the 30k interval–when the tires were rotated for the 4th time.

If Toyota, or Scion, or other manufacturers do not state the requirement to have scheduled service performed in order to keep the warranty in force, I am very surprised. They are certainly exposing themselves to a lot more warranty claims than would be necessary if they took the time to put this requirement in writing.

However, damage or failures caused by lack of
proper maintenance are not covered under warranty.

And that is almost IMPOSSIBLE to prove. And most dealers/manufacturers won’t even bother to try because it will cost them more money in court then it would to just fix it in the first place. Obviously if you get in a accident or other obvious neglect they probably won’t cover it…but other things like changing the oil at 6k instead of 5k miles…no way…no how will they NOT cover a engine damage claim.

I HAD A 1994 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX.IT HAD A 75000 MILE WARRANTY.THE WHEEL BEARINGS WENT AT 61000.THAT WAS BECAUSE I BEAT THE CAR BAD.THE DEALER CHANGED THEM WITH NO QUESTIONS.PEOPLE THAT KNOW CARS KNOW THAT WHEEL BEARINGS DO NOT GO AT 61000.

I agree with VDC on this one. I’d like to add that no matter where you get the work done you should be sure each item is clarified on the shop order and keep your copy. Should you need to access the warranty, you may need to produce that document as evidence that you’ve kept up with the required maintenance.

everything on Garbage Motors vehicles FAIL quite often.and the bearings usually go at 30 k.

so you got a good one.