2019 GMC Canyon - Consumes oil

Uses one quart of oil, approximately every 2000 miles. Any suggestions on how to remedy it? Do not. appear to be smoking.

Probably considered okay per GM.
You could try Restore Engine Restorer.
But I would just top it off when down a pint.

Welcome to the forum…

What engine (3 options)???
How many miles are on it??
What oil are you using?? (weight, type)

1 Like

A quart every 2000 miles is not “using oil”.

Post back when it is a quart every 1000 miles.

2 Likes

That’s probably more oil usage than you’d like, but I wouldn’t say it is excessive. Newer vehicle designs meet federal emissions and customer’s mpg expectations, but it comes with the downside of higher oil usage. My early 90’s Corolla for example still uses oil at a rate of 5 k miles per quart. So in your case, imo nothing needs to be done other than checking the oil level frequently enough to keep it topped off. If you want to replace something to try to reduce the oil usage, ask your shop if they’d recommend replacing the pcv valve. Sometimes that part will stick and allow more crank-case ventilation flow than it should, which can cause some extra oil loss. A sticking pcv valve can also cause other more serious problems, so while this all seems pretty unlikely on a 2019, it is probably worthwhile to ask your shop to take a look at the pcv system on your next visit. Best of luck.

Has it always used this much, or is this recent?

Oil Consumption Rates Vary

GM states that one quart of oil usage in 2,000 miles is an acceptable consumption rate. This volume applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, and not driven in an aggressive manner while being serviced at the appropriate service interval. This consumption rate does not apply to vehicles driven aggressively, operated at high RPMs, excessive speeds, trucks heavily loaded with cargo, or pulling a trailer. During these conditions a consumption rate of one quart per 500 miles driven may be considered as normal usage.

Tester

1 Like

No, because there’s nothing wrong.

Let me rephrase that…if you have inspected the engine (or paid someone to inspect the engine) for external oil leaks and found none, then there is nothing to fix because nothing is wrong.

1 Like

Keep the engine oil topped off, as needed. Oil is a lot cheaper than major engine “repairs”.

It started within the last year…

As has been said by others, that is not necessarily a big deal, but…how about telling us something more. It’s going on 6 years old. How many miles are on it? What is the maintenance history? Has anyone checked it for oil leaks? Has anyone checked the PCV system? How do you know it only just started within the last year? Do you regularly check the oil level? How did you know it was a quart low to begin with?

1 Like

We have tons of GMC Canyons 3.6-liter V6 . . . of this vintage in our fleet and they ALL have consumed some engine oil from day one

Nothing to see here

No problem

Normal engine operation

Next question

1 Like