Car "uses" oil

I’ve been told by the dealer and saw a tech bulletin from GM indicating it’s “acceptable” for my car to “use” (not burn) one quart of oil in 2,000 miles. Needless to say, I’ve argued this and finally convinced them to change the valve guide in the car (before the warranty ran out). But, even after they were changed I did another oil consumption test with the dealer and the car is still “using” oil, just not up to the amount they would consider “unacceptable”. Last check it used 3/4 quart in 1500 miles. Is it normal for a car to “use” oil in this manner?

Hard to say, since you didn’t tell us what kind of car you’re driving. GM makes LOTS of different models.

Some engines “use” oil, which means they burn it. Some use very little, and others use more than a little, even when new.

I have a 12-year-old Acura that uses no oil between oil changes at 5,000 mile intervals. I also have a 13-year-old Subaru that uses a quart every 2,000 miles or so.

A friend of mine has a VW that has used a quart every 1,000 to 1,500 miles ever since it was new, and that’s considered “normal” for that engine.

I’d be a little bit concerned about oil use in a new car, but if GM says a quart in 2,000 miles is acceptable they’re unlikely to do anything about it.

I suggest you continue to check the oil level on a regular basis and add as necessary.

Most car manufacturers use 1000 miles/quart as the threshold for excessive consumption. If you’re using less than 1000 miles/quart, good luck getting any kind of warranty help. I’m surprised you even got the valve guides changed.

Sorry about not posting all the info. I’ve got a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix. I originally changed the oil every 3,000 miles, but then waited for the car to tell me when to change the oil (according to the car manual). But, the message I got was “low oil” not “change oil”. The car only had 10,000 miles on it when this started.

So, nowadays for newer cars, it’s basically ok if it “uses” a quart of oil?

That rule of thumb has been applied for a long time, not just “nowadays.”

Once again, it all depends on the engine. Some use oil, and some don’t.

A quart every 2000 miles is really not abnormal. My daughter had a car (Ford) that used about a quart every 1000 miles since new, last known owner was still getting 1000 miles per quart after 220k miles.

I doubt you got new valve guides since your engine doesn’t have any, at least none that are replaceable. They are cast in. Maybe you meant valve seals.

A quart of oil every 2000 miles is NOTHING…In a PONTIAC, it’s not even worth mentioning…

Make you wonder if their engine assembly plant has a machinist with a bad eye and a tremor, plus a sloppy manager cause every 20th engine to be a bit of a dog.

Yes, it’s a quality control problem. I’ve been on the lucky side of it. The worst car I had burned a little over 1/2 quart every 3000 miles. The ones I have now don’t have any detectable consumption at 5000 or 6000 miles when the oil is changed.