2019 Chevrolet Malibu - Rattles

My 2019 Chevy Malibu LT with 5,200 miles has developed a rattle from the steering column that occurs at 35 to 45 miles when the steering wheel is in drive (straight ahead) position. When the wheel is turned the rattle goes away.

I went to my local dealership and they stated that they where going to reset the computer on my vehicle. It did stop the rattle, but i think this will accorded again.

An old cliche: “time will tell”.

1 Like

Problem fixed under warranty. Worried it might come back. Still under warranty. Stop worrying.

1 Like

I’d like to know what’s really going on. I’ve never heard of a rattle caused by a computer.

3 Likes

I’m guessing it has to do with the electric power steering.

3 Likes

It’s as good an answer as any, I guess. Since my Corolla also has electric power steering I’ll have to keep my ears peeled for mystery rattles.

I’m not aware of “issues” with Toyota’s electric PS.
However, GM has had problems of–various types, including strange noises in the steering column–with their electric PS ever since they introduced it.
Most of those electric PS problems were addressed with Service Bulletins, but some more recent GM models had problems so severe as to mandate a recall.

I wasn’t aware of any issues either and my reply was half tongue in cheek but it never hurts to be paying attention for unusual noises.