2018 Kia Sportage windshield cracked without reason

My windshield cracked for no apparent reason - no chips or divots - anyone else have this problem?

Would it make you feel better if we did have this problem, too?

4 Likes

Of course some people have and all they do is contact their insurance company . Since this is a 2018 you surely have full coverage.

1 Like

If she came to us through Ask Someone, she could be forgiven for thinking she might find someone this has happened to. It’s probably annoying at best, and scary at worst.

1 Like

Just trying to understand why she, and others would ask this question. Not trying to be flippant. I’m not going to guess at motivation, I’d really like to know what her answer is.

2 Likes

People have reported similar things here from time to time, so it can happen. Glass can be under a lot of internal stress, so a hidden defect combined with a temperature change can do this, especially if the crack started from the edge. Your insurance policy will likely cover this with no deductible.

4 Likes

So the short answer is “Yes”. It does happen. Your warranty should also cover this, but the dealer may decide to try and blame you.

Although I can’t say I have this problem, I have seen reports (and Technical Service Bulletins) for certain make/model/model-year vehicles that exhibit an unusual number of cracked windshields, with no apparent cause.

If I recall, some vehicles have had problems with the body flexing too much, under certain circumstances, and that fractures the glass. Others were built with flaws in spot welds, stampings, or other issues concerning the windshield body opening.

Here’s one example I found in a quick search, concerning another manufacturer:

@BeverlyRyan
Are you the original owner of this vehicle?

Has the car been wrecked or does it have a “salvage title”?

Approximately how many miles on this Kia?

CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

These things are probably thinner than they have ever been all in the name of CAFE . Im sure once in a great while they will crack for no reason . Replace it and don’t worry about it .b

It’s about time you left Yooperville and returned to Florida. Welcome back.

Thanks! I have to fly back to the frozen tundra at the end of the week, wait for most of the leaves to fall (some don’t make it in time before snow blankets the earth), gather them all up and then drive back to FL and spend the winter and most of spring.

I don’t even have to cut grass or pick up fronds here! They have people for that. Feel the magic!
CSA

1 Like

You gather the leaves and carry them back to Florida? :wink:

:grimacing: I thought that might sound a bit ambiguous…
No I don’t want the darn things. They look nicer on the trees.

We are getting better at not taking much when we travel. We flew down with only 1 carry-on bag for the two of us, no checked bags. Next time we fly we are shooting (bad word choice for TSA) for no carry-ons.

We have gradually created a parallel universe here. I just went to the golf pro shop’s 50% off sale and stocked up on more golf shirts that will live here, for example. We have golf clubs here and in the north, 6 bikes here and more there, all household items both places, etcetera… Everything.

That’s one thing we liked better owning, rather than renting. It’s quicker and less stressful not packing, unloading, repacking, reloading, and trying to remember everything and getting it to fit. Plus the van lives here, so we have a car when we fly. We Uber to or from the airport on a moment’s notice for 15 bucks.

It takes less time to fly from northern location airport to here than it does to drive to the airport up there from northern home!

The only reason we drive down and back, fall and spring, is because my wife thinks she needs a car like once or twice at the same time I do, although I go most places by bicycle if it’s just me. A happy wife is a happy life.

CSA

Maybe you need to expand the fleet and get another car for Florida. Think of all the fun you’ll have checking out Florida cars. You can tell us how Yooper cars compare to Florida cars.

Try out a 150cc to 250cc scooter. You’ll be surprised how easy it is to ride, it will go 60 - 65 mph and it’s fun, too.