2018 Honda Civic EX Hatchback bed creak sounds while coasting

2018 Honda Civic EX Hatchback, CPO with 24k miles, Automatic

Just drove it off the lot yesterday. During the test drive, everything worked fine, it’s a CPO with low mileage, no damage, no accidents, etc. The problem- did the test drive in NYC, basically all fast loud roads and highways. Bringing it back home to my quieter neighborhood, started to notice a strange creaking sound that I can’t source. It happens when the car is moving, but doesn’t seem related to the engine at all. Put the car in neutral and revved it a bunch and didn’t hear it. Here’s two clips, the first is a shorter, the second is a longer bit of driving.

It doesn’t seem to be affected by turns/ bumps/ any of the typical noise makers that come up when you google “car noises,” which is why I’m posting here. It’s consistently tied to the speed of the car, have yet to put it in neutral and have somebody push to see if it happens sans engine but can try that soon.

This is my first car, so while I have a basic understanding of how things work I’m very green. Fairly handy otherwise so if this is something that’s a fix I can do would prefer that vs taking it back to the dealer, even though it’s new. NYC doesn’t make things easy haha. Any point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

You need to adjust your hatch.

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 11.54.56 AM

The circles point out where the rubber hatch adjustment pieces are. You unscrew them a little bit and it’ll press harder against the hatch to keep it from squeaking. You may find yourself having to do this from time to time as the car ages. This is very common on hatchbacks.

1 Like

Great, thanks for that- fingers crossed it’s that easy. Will give it a go and report back.

Tried adjusting the hatch, no dice. Got somebody else to drive in a parking lot, it seems to be coming from the back left tire. Here’s a video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13-qJohtE7djEiHI7VkZqYLKToURicBQO/view?usp=sharing

It’s weird, during searching this doesn’t seem to be a typical noise. My only real lead was something to do with the brake pad, either being seated incorrectly or a part of the enclosure sticking out just a bit to cause the noise.

Does this line up with anybody’s experience? Any direction would be super helpful.

Sounds like a bent dust shield. It rubs on the rotor as the wheel turns. If you look on the inside of the brake rotor you’ll see a thin circular metal plate. It’s very bendable. Bend it away from the rotor a little bit.

Here’s a vid that will help you find it: