2018 Chevy Trax not starting

I have a 2018 Chevy Trax that has decided to not start. On Friday, the car started up fine, but today (Sunday), when I tried to start the car, it made a weird grinding type noise, the check engine light came on and that’s it. I turned the car off, waited a few minutes, and tried again, but the brake pedal won’t go down so I can try and start the car. I also noticed that when I turned the car off, it made a clicking noise for a while, which then stopped. This has never happened before. Any suggestions?

How many miles do you have on the odometer?
I ask because your (presumably) 2 year old car came with a “basic” warranty that covers everything on your car for 3 years or 36k miles–whichever comes first. Additionally, it has a Powertrain Warranty that covers the engine and transmission for 5 years or 60k miles–whichever comes first.

The only things that are not covered by warranty are accident damage and damage caused by neglect or abuse. Lack of proper maintenance is considered to be “neglect”, but as long as you have maintained the vehicle at least as well as is specified in GM’s maintenance schedule, this problem should be covered by the warranties. If the engine won’t start, it is even likely that the warranty will cover towing to a dealership.

So, my suggestion is to take/tow the car to a Chevy dealership in order to have them diagnose the problem and rectify it… without cost to you. If you attempt to repair this on your own, you run the risk of voiding the warranty.

2 Likes

@VDCdriver, thank you. The car has 19000 miles on it and has definitely had regular routine maintenance. I’ve called the dealership and left a message but will be calling again tomorrow morning. I’m hoping the warranty will cover towing also.

1 Like

Since you should have full coverage insurance you may have a towing clause in your policy.

2 Likes

When did you buy the car?

If you bought the car in late 2017, I would think the basic new car warranty has already expired

@db4690, I bought the car in November of 2018, so it’s still covered.

2 Likes