2016 Hyundai Veloster - Limps - Mechanics at a loss

2016 Veloster …After the engine is running it goes to a limp mode, won’t move for a few seconds 10-20 seconds then gradually starts to accelerate normally. It’s happened twice. It doesn’t happen on a regular basis so the mechanics can’t seem to find the problem.

Did you recently have a software update on this car?

Which transmission? (if you’re about to type “automatic” then you also need to tell us whether you have the turbo version or not) What happens when you press the accelerator and it doesn’t move? Does the engine rev? Are there any lights on (check engine/ etc)?

Usually when the car’s computer puts it into limp mode it also sets one or more diagnostic trouble codes in computer memory. Ask your shop to read those using their scan tool and post the codes they give you here.

My question is how we know it’s in a limp mode? If that car has the DCT, there have been some troubles with Hyundai DCTs on some cars that can cause acceleration issues.

1 Like

I completely agree . . .

I would expect some warning messages, illuminated symbols in the instrument cluster, or at least some stored fault codes

1 Like

Dealer should fix it under warranty.

Thanks for responding. I chose the word limp because it seemed to fit the situation. I’m not a mechanic. The problem has been diagnosed as needing a new clutch. Yes the car is under warranty and will be covered. It took two days to discover what was causing the “lag, limp, no acceleration” issue. The mechanics were at an impasse as they couldn’t duplicate the problem but finally were able to. Thanks again for responding. You’re good people.

ah, clutch. so it has a manual trans? and 3 pedals under the dash? one for your left foot?

Actually it’s a 2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Automatic.

It’s a dual clutch automatic…

Do you by chance do a lot of slow-rolling at stop lights like most people with auto transmissions do? You know, you’ll stop, then inch forward a little, then stop again, and repeat until the light turns green?

If you do, try to avoid that. DCT’s really don’t like it. Also, if you’re in the habit of letting the transmission hold the car on hills instead of using the brake, don’t do that either.

2 Likes

Hmm good to know. I’ll be sure to be more aware of those situations and follow your suggestions. Thanks

1 Like

well. its good we figured out its a DCT auto trans. how long is your warranty? i might decide to sell it just before warranty expires.

Hyundai powertrain warranty is 10/100,000. I’m guessing this does not include clutches as they are wear items.

Salespeople who deal with DCTs really should be trained to tell the customers that DCTs cannot be treated like a regular automatic, and that doing so will dramatically shorten the life of the clutches.

Right , and just how many vehicle sales people are going to say something like that to a potential customer .

1 Like

You say it at the same time that you’re telling them all the other stuff they need to know when they’re picking up the car they already signed a contract for.

Please do let us know if this is resolved to your satisfaction. I would think the clutches in an automatic transmission would be covered by the warranty.

1 Like

I think this is one of the “famous” DSG gearboxes with an equally “famous” duall mass flywheel which means it is an oldfashioned manual gearbox with an automatic shift system. If that’s the situation, the clutch system could be called a wear item, but with a car this age, it should be covered from my point of view and as it seems to be.

The upside of the dual clutch design, other than the clutches the transmission should be pretty robust. OP would be wise to follow the advice above about driving styles which minimize clutch wear, then once the repair is complete they should be good to go for many, many miles. .