2016 Hyundai Tucson dual clutch problems

I have had problems with hesitation, chatter on acceleration, pulling out traffic and it would rev up and not move. It is my third Tucson and by far the worst. I have had it almost three years, and every time I would take it in, they would say they can’t find anything wrong with it. That is the last car I will ever buy from my dealer. Their service manager admitted to me that they have a problem, but they don’t know how to fix it. The final scare that I had was when I was driving slow through a subdivision looking for an address and the transmission locked up and would not go forward or reverse. This car is junk!! Look it up on Utube, and you will see all the people that are having the same problem. Don’t buy any Hyundai with a duel clutch.

@cdaquila Carolyn , the OP has a right to be upset but I think naming the dealer serves no purpose.

Thanks. Changed. Mr. Prager, sorry to hear the third Tucson didn’t work out for you, but we try not to name names here.

If the OP’s two year old Hyundai has less than 100k miles, then it is still covered by the mfr’s Powertrain Warranty. If the dealership pleads ignorance regarding repairs, then it is time to escalate the OP’s complaint to the corporate level. Contact info for Hyundai of America can be found in the Owner’s Manual.

But if they don’t know how to fix it that is a problem.

The dealership might claim that they don’t know how to fix it, but that claim could be truly bogus.
By registering a complaint with the vehicle mfr during the warranty period, it is entirely possible that the mfr’s regional service supervisor could force the local dealership to repair the problem. And, even if there is no remedy on the menu today, by filing a complaint–IN WRITING, and sent via Certified Mail–the OP is helping to ensure a legal–and free–remedy when the mfr eventually owns-up to this problem.

1 Like

A lawsuit has been filed for the problems with the Hyundai DCT’s.

In the mean time, you own an anchor.

Tester.

1 Like

Given the numerous problems reported by posters here about dual clutch method, independent of manufacturer it seems, I’d be inclined to just say no to a vehicle w/ that technology myself. Are there any implementations that are proven to be as bullet-proof as conventional automatics or cvt?

I hear Porsche’s is good.

Hyundai makes generally good cars, but yeah, their DCT’s suck. My wife’s Veloster has one. It doesn’t have the problems the newer ones have, but the programming is stupid. It makes accelerating unpredictable - sometimes it’s normal, and sometimes it’s really sluggish, as though the transmission is starting in 3rd gear or something.

I would not buy a DCT from them until they learn how to make one.

In my opinion, if there is a warranty defect Hyundai is trying to hide, they are expert at keeping quiet and will never admit they were able to experience the problem. When I tried fighting them in court, they used their corporate lawyer power against me.

The only person who would tell me anything was one of the mechanics. He gave me his cell phone because he was afraid of having his management see him talk to me directly. He did confirm the defect. To protect his job, I did not use him or his quote in court. Hyundai ran circles around me, in both Lemon Law court and three Small Claims court trials.

I learned that lesson the hard way and ended up about $3,500 poorer for it, plus my defective vehicle.

1 Like

We at CarTalk have tried to get the word out on this Hyundai issue back in 2016. I went to so far as to “out” the issue in my review of the Tucson back then. Many owners have had ongoing issues. Like a handful of notorious modern car problems, this is one the Mfg has struggled to get their arms around. I have recently tested multiple Hyundai vehicles (including a Tucson) with the DCT and have had no issues. I think they fixed it, but it’s hard to tell from a new tester.

1 Like

Good info in the link above. Lot of posts back in 2016, but I notice the “complaints” blog section at this website has gotten pretty sparse of late.

The Hyundai double clutch system is a HUGE ACCIDENT waiting to happen. It’s dangerous. We had to give up our Hyudai for a loss, because we would not sell this dangerous vehicle to anyone. My guess is there will be a class action law suit against Hyundai fairly soon. My family and I will be among the first to sign on. Here’s something I did not know: If you have a dangerous vehicle and there are many reports of it being dangerous, it is actually HARDER, not easier, to bring an individual suit again the company (Hyundai). H, Seems corporations are protected while consumers are not. Go figure! Hyundai knows the Tucson with the double clutch is dangerous. It’s all over the internet. They choose to do nothing about it. Do not buy a Hyundai. And keep your ears open for a class action law suit. It has to happen someday. That’s my guess. Thanks, and drive safely!

Seems like the DCT in these car elicit a love/hate mix. They seem to have changed the programming on the 2018 and the complaints are less.
Now for the 2019, they went to conventional 6 speed auto for the US market. I think the belief is that we are not used to how the DCT behaves.
Some are happy with this switch but there are buyers that drool over the DCT and are trying to find a clean used one.

I prefer a vehicle that accelerates consistently every time I press the go pedal, even if it takes a whole extra second to get to 60mph.
Thus, I avoided the DCT when I bought a 2017 Tucson last July.

No need to wait. The lawsuit for this issue was filed in 2016. Details here from our partner site.

I have a 2016 Tuscon that had the software update when it came out and it seemed to work. I have a LOT of miles on my car, just over 98,000. On Oct 11th and it started to act like it did after I first got it. Check engine light came on. Got code P073F, enable to engage gear 1. Hyundai is supposed to be replacing the whole dual clutch transmission. I am having to pry things out of the dealership. They have had my car for 10 days. I am waiting for a call back from the dealership owner. I was supposed to get it today. Anyone else have recent problems? If you don’t, it may be because your mileage is lower than mine, but be prepared.

Well, seems you are lucky it went out before the 100K mile warranty and hopefully they will fix it. Do you get a rental? If so, just give them time.

I am trying to get them to agree to pay for the rental, at first they said no. If they can provide me transportation that is equal, I would be ok, but I am already out $450 in rental fees. I am also very concerned about the resale value.

A 4 year old car with 100,000 miles on it, the only reason I would considered even buying one would be because of the recent transmission replacement.

It’s the high mileage that’s going to effect the resale value, there are to many out there with less than half that mileage.