2018 Hyundai Tucson tranny running "hot"

I have 2315 miles on a brand new Hyundai tucson and i told a worker at the dealer that my truck tranny was running hot he told me that it"s to hot outside that is why the tranny is running hot i said what!!! my girlfriend is so mad that her first truck is a lemon so Hyundai please help me because i can’t drive my brand truck that i paid hard earned cash for i owned this truck for one month and i lost $5000 in value that"s what the dealer told me I WANT OUT NOW! CHEERS!

What is your basis for “tranny was running hot”?
If your truck has a transmission temperature gauge, as mine does, it should remain in the normal range. Mine never goes above mid-way in Florida.
A) Present the FACTS to the service writer, not a random ‘worker’.
B) Have it fixed under the warranty.
C) If dealer objects keep all reports,elevate it through service manager and up the chain per your owners manual.
Alternately, try a different dealers’ service department.
D) If all else fails, check your states’ lemon laws.

BTW does your transmission have a dipstick? If so, is the fluid level at the correct level?

2 Likes

Did you actually talk to a service writer ? How do you know that the transmission is getting to hot ? The truck is not a lemon, it apparently has a problem just like all mechanical things do . Do you not understand that when you buy a new vehicle it is no longer worth what you paid for it when you drive off the lot. That happens to everyone.

If you can’t get satisfaction from the dealer in the manual there will Hyundai contact instructions.

Likely the OP has a Tucson with the dual clutch transmission.
The clutches can become over heated, a warning light comes on the dash and the vehicle will refuse to go into gear.
There was a software update last year but a 2018 model should have that.
Clutch overheating is typically due to driving style.
You can’t creep along or inch up a hill like with a conventional automatic.
It’s all explained in the Owner’s Manual.
I bought a 2017 Tucson a couple months ago, FWD with a conventional auto.
I avoided the DCT; about 90% of the complaints for this generation Tucson on carcomplaints.com are about the DCT.
I also didn’t want the tiny 1.6L turbo engine that comes with the DCT.

It’s not a truck, it’s a compact SUV with a car based unibody.

1 Like

for what it is worth- It’s gonga hot here in Tucson, too…

I would also like to know how the OP knows that the transmission of his compact SUV (Hint: It’s NOT a truck!) is running hot.

To me, an El Camino is closer to a truck than a Tucson.

As I wrote in my last post there’s a warning light on the dash.

So then the code should be stored, right? Therefore the random, unknown ‘worker was BSing the OP.
Apparently the OP just posted to vent and really doesn’t care since he has not responded.

So who does it belong to, you or your gf? In any event, given the response you got at the dealership claiming your new truck isn’t designed work in hot weather, my guess is you are going to have to contact Hyundai Corporation for help. There should be contact information in your owner’s manual. If you contact them via the telephone, be sure to follow up with a letter each time, so you have a written record containing the date, who you talked to, and what was discussed. In other words better to light a candle than curse the darkness. Car companies have these kinds of customer complaints from new car owners all the time and usually do a good job at quickly addressing them.

I agree that this is probably from the Dual Clutch transmission. There are youtube videos on how to drive a DCT. Most people who buy these cars just know that they are automatic.
I had a co-worker buy one last week. I was telling her that I made a point of buying a used 2015 (in 2016) mostly because I preferred the conventional auto. She didn’t know anything about the DCT, so I had her watch the video.