2016 Hyundai Genesis - Won't start

Bought the car used from CarMax in August 2019, January 11, 2020 car would not start and there was a complete electrical failure as I could not turn on lights, open the trunk, etc. Called USAA Roadside and they informed me the original battery was at 5.5V and I needed a new battery. I had one placed the same day. Wednesday Jan. 15, 2020 when starting the car there was a loud pop sound and the analog clock started spinning, however the car started and drove without incident. Thursday morning the 16th the car would not start, same as above, no lights, couldn’t pop the trunk. Road side came out again, took over 20 minutes to charge the battery and I then took it directly to Frank Hyundai in National City. They had the car for two days and said there was nothing wrong with the car. I picked it up at 5pm Friday Jan. 17th, drove home, parked in the garage and on Saturday January 18th the car again would not start! I had the car towed this time to Kearny Mesa Hyundai as they are the only authorized Genesis dealer here in San Diego. They have now had the car for two days and can’t find what is wrong with it and what is draining the battery. Hyundai will not provide me with a rental car until they diagnose and they have had the car on and off for a week now. My car is 3 years old with 25000 miles on it and well cared for. Can anyone please help??

I suspect we now know why a very low-mileage car found its way to CarMax.

6 Likes

I have the same problem with my 2016 Genesis. Nothing happened when I pressed the start button, with fob in hand, foot on the brake. No lights on the dashboard. I then tried to jump the car. After I touched the black and red clamps to each other by accident, the computer reset the car. The clock spun and systems checked and it started.
I am wondering if I should take it to a dealer. I bought it used 4 years ago and it is out of warranty because 2nd owners only get 60,0000 miles. This has happened three times in the past two weeks.

Do you mean you removed both battery post cables, then (with battery totally disconnected, posts have nothing on them) you touched the red to black wiring harness clamps together? If so, that indeed could reset a confused computer system enough to get it working again. Sort of like if an electronic gadget locks ups, sometimes just turning it off and back on does the trick.

I expect you already know to never touch wires connected to battery posts together.

Either a dealership shop or an independent shop should be able to solve this for you. Definitely take it to one or the other, b/c good chance at some point engine won’t start and you’ll be stranded.

If you want to do something yourself first, make sure no lights are on when car parked & not in use. Check both exterior and interior lighting, glove compartment, trunk etc. Common causes of battery drain is brake lights staying on (faulty brake light switch), and faulty door switch (causes computer to think somebody is about to drive car).

I’d disconnect your battery for 15 minutes so the ECU will fully reset. While it’s disconnected check your grounds. You can unbolt the grounds, clean with a wire brush then bolt them back down. I had a similar issue and this fixed it!

Edit: Mine is a 2011 2.0T turn key so I’m not familiar with the keyless fob. Could also try a new battery in the fob.