2016 Ford Explorer exhaust smell

I’ve had a recall performed on this car to address the exhaust smell in the cabin, and had the repair inspected and the entire exhaust system inspected at a different dealer. Everything seems to be in order yet I still smell exhaust at times and a carbon monoxide detector I bought for the car goes off from time to time. The dealer says there’s nothing else that can be done, and to just sell the vehicle if the smell bothers me! I love this car and just put new tires on it, I don’t want to sell it. I filed a complaint on the NHTSA website, but what else can I do?

HUGE red flag!! CO can kill you. Do NOT drive this car without the windows open. Consider parking it. It doesn’t matter how much you “love” the car, it is not worth your life!

If the dealer says nothing can be done, he is wrong. I’d suggest 2 tracks. 1) Take it to another Ford dealer and explain to them the smell and that your CO detector is going off and CO is getting into the car. If they balk at fixing it, elevate it to the Ford zone manager, a person that works for Ford and not the dealer. Explain the CO readings and the response of the first dealer to sell it. Selling that car to an unsuspecting person with a dangerous defect, in my opinion, is criminal and the zone person should be made aware of it. Ford OWES you a safe vehicle. You PAID for a safe vehicle. Don’t back down!

1. Contact a lawyer that specializes in auto warranty and lemon law claims. It will cost a few dollars but the lawyers leverage of a possible lawsuit can help. At the very least, they can explain your rights and fight Ford in your behalf.
4 Likes

Mustangman is correct. Try a different dealer if you can get to one easily, then contact Ford directly as instructed in your owner’s manual.

UPDATE: The problem seems to have corrected itself somehow. After a couple more months of driving this vehicle I’ve not smelled exhaust fumes again, and my carbon monoxide detector consistently shows “0.” Whatever was causing the issue is no longer a problem. Odd.