2015 Toyota Corolla Armor-All mess

We recently purchased a Toyota Corolla S Premium. The interior is all black, and unfortunately the detail team at the dealership doused it in Armor All, and created an oily mess. (Despise this stuff) I’ve been trying to wipe remove all of the AA off with damp, warm cloths, but can’t seem to get it all off. The windows are the worse! I cannot get them clean! I’ve used Invisible Glass and just warm water, nothing removes it. They’re all covered in a hazy, grey film, and the front window has a distracting glare.
I don’t want to ruin the surrounding paint with overspray so I’ve been hesitant on using harsh chemicals. Please help! I can’t see.

Use a mild solution of warm water and vinegar.

Or better yet take it back to the dealership and tell them they made the mess, now they have to clean it up. :wink:

Start by telling the dealer. Sounds like they have at least one employee who needs supervision.

take it back to the dealer and make them do it.

Try the dealer 1st. If for some reason the dealer cannot or will not help try Goo Gone, https://googone.com/ Xmarts and car parts stores have it. It does a nice job of taking sticky oily stuff off.

Thanks so much. I’ll try that.

We did that and they made it worse!!!

I paid a detailer $110 to get all the Armor All off and re-do the dealerships “detailing”, but he couldn’t remove the smeared film either. I’m at the end of my rope! $15k for a mess!!

If it is the same dealer, you should not have paid anything. They messed it up, and they have to fix it at their expense. If the service manage balks, talk to the service manager. If he balks, talk to the general manager.

A cap of dishwashing liquid in warm/hot water and a dishcloth is one of the best things to remove that goo. Rinse with clear hot water and a dish towel to dry.

If that doesn’t work, WD-40 will. That seems counter intuitive but WD-40 dilutes the goo enough for it to be removed by the dishwashing detergent. I just wouldn’t start with it.

BTW, laundry detergent also works pretty well and does not suds up as bad so it is easier to rinse.

Thank you for all of your help.
After the Toyota dealership messed it up and put it on the lot in that condition, they promised to re-detail it and had us wait 3 days to pick up. It was a cloudy rainy day, so it wasn’t noticeable. But the abundance of Armor All was evident as it was smeared everywhere and puddles on the rubber floor mats. The next day we saw the windows. Took the car to the dealership and showed them. They offered to re-do and I refused, telling them I made an appt with a private detailer. He couldn’t get it off either with professional window cleaners.

The front window isn’t as smeared, but instead has a glare streak running diagonal across the drivers side.

We’ve contacted both the service mgr and general mgr. We’re waiting for a reply.

Thank you for your advise.

If an ammonia based glass cleaner and crumpled up newspaper cannot remove the residue, I fear it is not residue but rather some etching of the glass by inappropriate cleaners that may have been used.

I’ve used 0000 steel wool and Windex on auto glass with some success. Try it on an out-of-the-way place first to make sure it won’t scratch your glass.

I live in South Florida. My cars are garaged but do sit in the sun. I don’t use armour all and don’t put anything on the dash.The offgassing of the plastic makes a difficult to remove haze.

I loosen the haze with glass cleaner and a magic eraser. I then use a squeege with a towel on the dash to catch the liquid. If you don’t use a squeege, you leave more of a film. I just found a small five inch or so squeege at home Depot. It fits the inside of the windshield much better. I use a 2 foot extension.

I second the magic eraser - they’re abrasive, but won’t scratch. Try it with Windex/etc.

Just to clarify, they won’t scratch glass. They will scratch other materials, as we discovered when using them a little too liberally on a formica countertop.

I recommend that the OP buy a spray bottle of Krud Kutter. This product (that I buy at Lowe’s) is very effective at cutting through greasy messes and yet–it is non-toxic. One of my recurring cleaning problems has been brake dust that adheres to my alloy wheels, and this product is so much better than any of the specialized wheel cleaners that there is just no comparison.

I have used it to do some under-hood clean-up, to clean the stove top, and to clean my shower, and it has been excellent on all of those varied types of chores. And, because I have asthma and have to be really careful to avoid cleaners with noxious fumes, I am very glad that this product is devoid of noxious fumes.
:thinking:

Don’t spray any solvent material onto the windshield. Spray it onto a paper towel or other wiper, then wipe the window. The solvents in Krud Kutter or any other window cleaner might attack the dashboard.

If I had that problem I’d start with something like Windex first. Or Consumer Reports home made glass cleaner formula.

CR Glass and window cleaner
1/2 cup ammonia
1/2 teaspoon liquid dish detergent
1 pint rubbing alcohol
Add enough water to the ammonia and rubbing alcohol to make a gallon. Pour into spray bottles.