2015 Subaru Outback - TPMS with spare?

When the low tire pressure light is on, does that tire pressure includes the spare tire or not?

Temporary spare tires are not monitored by the tire pressure monitor system. You need to check the tire pressure with a gauge, if air has not been added to the spare tire in the last 5 years the pressure has likely dropped to less than 20 PSI.

1 Like

Thanks very much, Nevada_545. I’m taking the car to a good mechanic today to get a professional opinion on the tires pressures.

Lowell and Karlene Schwartz

In case you find it helpful. Here’s a story on tire pressures.

John , would you edit that personal info out of Lowell’s post .

Thanks for pointing out the personal info VOLVO_V70. I missed it on my first edit. Cheers,

I don’t think Subaru monitors the spare, but some do (I think I remember that Toyota’s pressure system monitors the spare as well as the regular tires)

For what it’s worth, I always overinflate the spare tire a bit. I can always let air out if it’s still too high when putting the tire on the car.

1 Like

As always, RTM! (Read The Manual)

3 Likes

Yes, but to be honest, for some people that process has to begin with removing the plastic overwrap that has encased the unread manual for… years.

1 Like

The spare is a real PITA to check because it is mounted with the valve stem pointed down. The spare has to be removed in order to check it. Subaru provides a nice tray over the spare tire that can carry a few emergency items like a spare quart of oil and a small electric tire pump. I’d suggest getting one of these just in case the spare goes down by the time you need it.

Most of the time, if your TPMS icon lights up, the air loss from the tire is very slow. Blowouts are very rare today. The small pump that plugs into your 12v power port (aka cigarette lighter) can put enough air into the tire to get you to the tire store for repair with plenty of time to spare so you won’t have to mount your spare tire at all.

Aren’t the tire pressures that the tires should have on a plaque on the drivers door jamb . I guess maybe the person is wondering if the Tire pressure monitors are failing .

Thanks, Keith. I took the car to a good mechanic who checked and adjusted all five tire pressures - the low pressure light went out after driving a mile or so.

Lowell

Thanks for your comment.

Lowell

This is one of things that should not require a mechanic . Many conveince and fuel stores have free air pumps . Also most tire stores will do that also . I used Discount Tire not to long a go and it was free but I still gave the person who did 2 dollar bills because it was cold outside.
As mentioned the tire pressure is on a door plaque so the pressure is not a mystery.

1 Like

Thanks very much, GorehamJ. I am a New Englander and enjoyed reading your story.

Lowell

1 Like

Thanks for your comment, lion9car.

Lowell

Thanks for your comment, pyolord314. I took my car to a good mechanic and he adjusted the pressures on all five tires. Then after driving a mile or so, the low tire pressure light went out.

Lowell

1 Like

Lowell , your replies are seen by everyone . So it is not necessary to make repeat posts of the same thing.

1 Like

@LowellSchwartz, thanks for the feedback. We appreciate it. Also feel free to ask more questions here anytime you have them, we are happy to help.

FYI, if you type @ you get a list of people who responded in this string. You can click on one of them and it will auto fill. Then repeat for each person you wish to respond to. When you do it this way, each one will get a notification that you have responded to them.

I did this at the beginning of this response.