2014 Mazda CX-9 - BSM SNAFU

My cars Blind Spot System quit,light flashing,tech says right sensor inoperative, must be replaced in pairs,$650 dollars each, total bill about 2 thousand dollars.Said the set up and recalibration is extensive and needs special tool.Now what?and a big ouch!Any suggestions

No. Bells and whistles comes a much higher price now and you just have to bite the bullet.

1 Like

I don’t drive one, but looking at pictures it does not appear to have a huge blind spot. Not necessarily a recommendation, but what I would do is drive it using my mirrors and turning my head to check the blind spot, before I spent that much for replacement.

3 Likes

Was this quote at the dealer or an independent mechanic? I’d get a second quote before deciding anything.

Also, how long do you plan to keep this car?

I googled this, found a video where a guy used $3000 worth of special equipment to calibrate a BSM on a CX-5. So I guess it’s pretty involved. Used modules are available on Ebay for $200-$300, but installation would be the problem.

You might post this on a Mazda forum, see what they say.

Don’t get it fixed and drive Old School. You remember the Old School method, right? Turn your head and check your blind spots before changing lanes!

2 Likes

+1
… also, be sure that your side-view mirrors are adjusted properly.
(Hint: if you can see any part of your car’s body in the side view mirrors when you are sitting upright, then they are NOT adjusted correctly!)

To CORRECTLY adjust the driver’s side-view mirror, place your head against the left side window and set the mirror so you can just barely see the side of the car in the mirror’s right side.
To adjust the passenger’s side-view mirror, position your head so that it is just above the center console. Set the mirror so you can just barely see the side of the car in the left side of the mirror.

When you revert to your actual driving position, none of your car’s bodywork will be visible in your sideview mirrors, but you will have gained a great amount of perspective regarding vehicles that are lurking in your blind spot.

1 Like