2016 Mazda Miata MX-5 - BSM issues

Blind spot monitoring works only intermittently, or not at all. Same problem with rear crossing vehicles.

It’s a known (but rare) problem but I don’t know what the solution is: 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Blind Spot Monitor Malfunction: 1 Complaints The page I linked says restarting the engine will usually take care of it. Check with the dealer and see if there’s a software update or TSB.

1 Like

As a prior owner and frequent tester of Miatas, I can say, it is one of the few cars with an actual blind spot (with top up). Hope this ends well for you. That technology is very handy when you are merging onto the highway and have the top up or when driving on the highway.

NHTSA has some information that might be useful in their recall database. It isn’t a recall, but in the manufacturer communications section, check the Equipment Adaptive/Mobility tab. The first two items deal with BSM problems. Maybe one of these can help you. Find them at safercar.gov.

I just came back from the dealer to see if they could fix my bsm on my 2016 Miata. They said that Mazda put out a post to service that to fix the problem you have to replace all the bsm parts. That’s about $1,600 for parts and $200 for labor.

Thanks for letting us know.

I am not up to date I guess, kept seeing BSM and thinking body side molding, thanks for google!

1 Like

$1800 to correct what sounds like a manufacturing defect? Ouch!

Exactly. Without disrespecting my service guy I used strong words. Bottom line is when you’re out of warranty you’re out of luck. Unfortunately we live in a world where instead of fixing things they throw them out and replace them with new modules.

John C Miller

Modular components keep the original sales price lower than it would be with several components that provide equivalent services. If the BSM services were provided by several subsystems, then the diagnostic cost to find the failed component might equal or exceed the cost of replacing the BSM. I don’t like it when repair costs are high either, but there are valid reasons.

1 Like

When you buy the car you get a warranty. If you want more coverage you buy an extended warranty. If the car does not need repair until it is out of warranty then you got what you paid for. It’s nice when the manufacturer helps out with repairs, especially for known defects, but if a defective part lasted through the warranty they have no legal obligation to help you.

I have found that if you service your car routinely at the dealer that both the dealer and the manufacturer are more likely to help you out, especially if you follow the service schedule. Mazda bit the bullet for me and I only paid a third of a brand new transmission at 127,000 miles on a 2014 Mazda 6 (well out of warranty) as the dealer and Mazda Corporate agreed to split it three ways with me. The car had all of its service done at the Mazda dealer according to the regular maintenance schedule. That saved me almost four grand. Good luck!!!

You may have come out the winner getting Mazda to support your claim and split the cost 3 ways, but the bills for the dealer to service your car for 127,000 miles of use were undoubtedly enough higher than an independent shop for the net costs to you to balance out.

Doubtful that an independent would have saved me money. My oil changes at the dealer are free for life and my car takes a five quart fill of synthetic oil every 5,000 miles. That was $1,500 of free oil changes up until then and another $600 worth since. Plus my dealer services were pretty inexpensive since I did not let them charge me for items I replaced on my own (air filters, spark plugs, tire rotations, wipers, brake maintenance and upkeep). It was more about my relationship with Mazda, and the six cars that I or my family have bought from Mazda in the last ten years and serviced at the dealer.