$5600 for tail light replacement due to water damage

Thought $200 for a headlamp was bad,2018 f150ltd

The next time I whine about adding even more sensors/complexity/computer controlled whatsamagigs and someone one says something like “don’t you like your gas gauge” I’ll just link back to this video.

3 Likes

Great, so the next time someone says my AC, Radio and possible no start etc etc don’t work, we need to tell them to check their tail lamps for water… :man_facepalming: :rofl:

2 Likes

It’s time to get a tube of silicone and seal all the holes going into your tail lamps if your car has a similar system.

3 Likes

And or drill a 1/64 hole in the bottom of the lamp to let the water escape… I did that once on a brand new Town Car headlamp while working at the dealer, and on more then one vehicle since then… lol

4 Likes

I see small light on side mirrors illuminate when I pass cars on hwy. if driver is not changing lanes what does exterior light on mirror do? Hey, someone is next to you? Uh, ok.

Blind Spot Warning lights are one of the pretty-much-standard safety enhancements on newer cars.

Blind Spot Warning & More - My Car Does What.

Is that little orange light in my outside mirror more of a distraction than a benefit? Hard to say. On many cars it’s just like the driver - not very bright.

1 Like

Exactly. When I see a warning light come on, that tells me that something is wrong. I don’t need the mirror to tell me that there’s a car that I can clearly see in my mirror. I usually turn off blind spot monitors and lane departure warnings when I can.

2 Likes

I was riding with my sister in a rental once. Some manner of mid-sized SUV with the blind spot warning indicators. Well, I guess she was relying on them a bit too much as she initiated a lane change when she shouldn’t have - by sight - but mirror didn’t tell her about it. Luckily nothing much ensued other than a honk and cessation of lane change.

Typical technician experience: Spend 15 minutes explaining damage to the blind spot monitor modules, parts are on back order, wiring harness damage, and someone will ask; Five thousand dollars for a taillight?

For years Consumer Reports has been listing which safety systems are standard equipment on each vehicle model, a message to the manufactures that we need and want these features.

Not sure I could buy into that argument. Nothing related to the existence of the technology, the incorporation of it into a vehicle or even the sales volume of a vehicle with those features proves a “need”.

In fact, it doesn’t even prove a “want” of them. Most of the time it’s a take it or leave it proposition where a trim package that has something desired by the purchaser also has this “safety package” bundled in with it and nothing you can do to divorce it from the prospective purchase if you want the other widget.

The way I see it, these technological features are part and parcel of the relentless march toward self driving cars. All of these sensory and control elements are needed in the eventual scenario of a car that can drive itself. As typical in technology advances, the smaller elements begin showing up in “high end” versions and are gradually refined to the point they operate reliably and work their way down the value chain until it is more or less “standard equipment”.

They are bundled into a message of safety as part of their marketing strategy. Who doesn’t want to be safe(r)? Especially when they package it in a way that deals with the safety of your family. You’re not doing as good as you can as a provider and guardian if you don’t spend extra for these safety features! :wink:

I don’t see how CR, by providing a summary list of what manufacturers have decided fits into their competitive marketing plan, drives the industry or is a reflection of what people actually want, let alone, need…

I lke the blind spot moniter but still do the mirror and head turn check before changing lanes. Had an instance last week, looked all clear and a speed racer decided to go from behind me and pass. It helped then.

1 Like

Blind spot monitor is extremely beneficial for me. It has helped me tremendously at nights where it’s hard to see a black car next to you with your actual eyes.

Though, blind spot monitor has failed me a couple of times where the orange light never came on while a car was in the blind spot territory

1 Like

Provided they also list the expected repair costs if the function fails, fair point. New car buyers would have no one to complain to except themselves. Want to dance? Pay the piper.

They don’t, the last sentence in each vehicle review states which safety features are standard equipment and sometimes something like “unfortunately XX system is only available on upper trim levels”.

Toyota and Lexus made most of their safety systems standard a few years ago and the safety offerings for each vehicle are pointed out in CR for consumers to compare.

Safety systems have their appeal until the owner discovers there are two $600 blind spot monitor modules located behind the rear bumper cover that can be knocked out of alignment with a shopping cart.

For the lane keep assist, I have replaced a few of those vibration modules that alert the driver when the vehicle crosses over a lane stripe. When the vibration module fails there are warning messages displayed in the instrument cluster.

Also, each time a windshield is replaced, the forward recognition camera must be calibrated.

You get extra points for following the instructions. There is a reason the blind spot indicator lights are located in the side view mirrors.

Sure, but there’s still the blind spot even if you visually check. I know “proper adjustment” helps. But I always put fish-eyes on my sideviews (I hate turning my head). Admittedly, use of them is trickier at night and esp if it’s raining. But I rarely do a head turn while driving. (I also pay constant attention to traffic behind me, and what people are up to).

Here’s a thought…my SAAB convertible - because of the top - has a blind spot on the passenger side even if you turn your head. The last 1/4 or so of the passenger side mirror is bent outwards to be a blind spot mirror. It’s distorted (as all of these things tend to be). But why cars are normally equipped with blind spot mirror tricks, such as on the SAAB, is a mystery to me. It’s not even that hard to even have rear views with bent out sides.

I’m not a neo-luddite / technophobe. But even if I have the detectors/sensors, I’ll always want to trust my own eyes instead. It’s possible with better mirror designs.

For sure, but I have to wonder about a car manufacturer who can’t engineer or build a vehicle where the tail lights don’t leak.

1 Like

Does fish eye lens help ?

Because I hate turning my head all the way around too because of my back problem.

To me they’re worth their weight in gold - because, yeah - it means I almost never need to turn my head. (Luckily, dirt cheap stick-ons are readily available at most any place that sells auto stuff, so no paying for gold involved).

I’ll also say, tho’, that on multi-lane roads I’m obsessive about always keeping track of the traffic behind me. So I often don’t even need to check the fish-eye as I already know everything about what’s going on behind.

The tricky parts:

• they have to distort (the old “objects in mirror are larger than they appear”), so you might have to get the hang of them to make them easy to use. Just like with the convex passenger side-views you have to get the hang of judging real distances.
  • at night, and especially in the rain, it is far more difficult to judge the actual position of trailing cars. This is mostly because now all you have to judge by are two gleams of the headlights. The time I’m mostly likely to just turn my head is merging onto a busy highway on a rainy night.
  • size matters. “Fish-eye” is really a direct reference to little round ones. But the smaller they are, the trickier it gets. But they come in different shapes and sizes. Shop around and play with them in the store. And/or search online. The more general term would be “blind-spot mirror.”