2014 Kia Soul - Thrown rod

Got a thrown piston rod took it to advanced autos a got a code of p0014

If you really have a thrown rod you could not get out of your driveway let alone to Advanced Auto.

5 Likes

The code means

Apparently this is fairly common on vehicles with variable valve timing. A good independent mechanic should be able to fix it.

1 Like

+1
And, if the cashier at Advance Auto (obviously, they are NOT “Advanced”) told you that this code indicated a thrown rod, that should be a strong indication that their diagnostic skills are lacking.

As Volvo-V70 implied, if your engine had a thrown rod, it would have essentially been destroyed, and the vehicle would have been inoperable.
:thinking:

3 Likes

But you had a thrown rod… so HOW did you take it to Advance? And why bother to have the codes read?

This means the engine is now a door-stop and must be replaced

1 Like

Bit of the story missing huh…

If your car has a thrown rod then P0014 is inconsequential.

1 Like

Sort of the automotive equivalent of…
Other than that incident, how did you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

4 Likes

Like on “Jeopardy”, we prefer opening posts to be in the form of a question.
That or a joke. :wink:

2 Likes

Perhaps this entire thread is a joke.
:thinking:

2 Likes

I threw a rod right out through the oil pan in Niagara Falls and drove it home to Buffalo, somewhere between 15-20 miles. Then a couple of weeks later, started it up and drove to the junkyard.

When I see people declare an engine won’t make it a mile without any oil, I beg to differ. Maybe those cast iron early hemi’s were just extra tough.

1 Like