2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Needs a GPS update

Car is 10 years old and GPS needs to be updated. How do I update?

Map updates for your vehicle’s navigation unit can be purchased at www.navigation.com

These updates tend to be quite expensive. Are you sure you don’t want to just use Waze instead?

1 Like

Waze and Google maps are free on your phone

I know next to nothing about this topic, but I thought the map-equipment that comes as part of the car offers some add’l functionality beyond what a cell phone offers. For example, doesn’t the in-car system use gyros so the map info continues to be available even when the signal is lost, going through a tunnel or underground parking garage, etc?

I never use my car’s GPS, the phone is much more convenient and always updated.

Googlemaps can use bluetooth beacons located along a tunnel for continuous navigation. Phone has that feature, not sure if vehicle based does. My truck has nav. Only used once, prefer my phone.

1 Like

I’m so old and stodgy that I still don’t use Waze or the like very much at all. Old fashioned, I guess - I like to know where I am, where I’m going, and how to get there. I’m somewhat afraid of a world where people don’t know things like that.

That said, I have actually gotten benefit from the bad traffic/re-routing features of such apps. And I get that. I’m still just mostly old-fashioned though.

No, the opposite. The phone is constantly updated in real time, has very good GPS and inertial measurement… the phone has accelerometers for dead reckoning in other words and can speak directions to you through your stereo

1 Like

My Tesla M3 uses a system similar to your suggestion @George_San_Jose1. The map fills the right most 2/3 of the screen when active. The map rotates while I’m driving to keep my direction of travel towards the top of the screen. There are fairly consistent software updates that include map updates from time to time. When I was looking for new cars one year ago I also test drove an Audi A4. The salesman said it used Apple Maps and that would be updated periodically too.

I wouldn’t be surprised if many (most?) on board GPS systems get periodic updates. Ford can update the SYNC system automatically. GM, Toyota and Genesis have update on demand and might require a subscription. Toyota provides 3 years free. My Tesla provides a satellite map and curated music for $10 per month.

One more advantage of a phone GPS - I can set the route while still in the house, then just hit start once I’m driving. Much more convenient.

1 Like

“Danger, Danger, Will Robinson…”

Leaving your Bluetooth on all the time so you may use “Bluetooth beacons” may be hazardous to your financial health…

Turn Bluetooth off when not in use. Keeping it active enables hackers to discover what other devices you connected to before, spoof one of those devices, and gain access to your device. If you connect your mobile phone to a rental car, the phone’s data may get shared with the car. This is especially true in high traffic Free Wi-Fi Zones (Starbucks, McDonalds, other fast food outlets, and other public FREE Wi-Fi Locations within various places, waiting rooms, parks, etc…

My '19 Toyota and my '29 Honda have my smartphone linked so phone calls come in over the audio system and I can make and receive calls hands-free.

Both cars know me well, better than I prefer, I can say, “Call Home,” or “Call for Pizza,” and they know what number to call. Both cars also use the phone for their internet access for the maps. When I use the maps, it also knows where I’ve been… So, it is something you need to be aware that it can happen if you have “Location” enabled in Google…

If I turn off Data, the maps do not work… I use TracFones and I get charged by the minute so I do not turn on the Data unless I need Internet access away from home.

I have a Garmin in each of my four vehicles and all four have Life-Time maps…

I use my phone and don’t have Bluetooth on, I have never had an issue… Now if you are out in BFE and try to start GPS up it may not work, but if already working, I have never had an issue… I also use a MPH app on my phone and never had it fail in very remote areas either…
I use, wait for it, gasp, Google Maps from android…So far I have not driven into a lake or other areas not of my choice… lol

Yes, turning off Bluetooth is safest. However, to address spoofing while traveling, turning off discoverable mode will prevent any hacker from seeing my device in the first place. This is normal safe practice when using BT away from home. I travel quite a bit using BT headphones and my company, which is very concerned about phone security allows this practice but disables discoverable mode as a default.

As mentioned, phone apps do a pretty good job using their built in accelerometers to continue tracking via the map while in a signal dead zone. I was an early adopter and had one of the first Garmin units. It would shut down on signal loss and remove the map. This happened while navigating Boston streets where the buildings interfered. I mean at least leave the map up on the screen! We’ve come a long way since then…

Some more information about BT beacons sure to get the privacy people fired up :grinning: