Is integrated Navigation System worth buying

Hello,
Adding an integrated navigation system (GPS) when buying a new car is $650 or more. I am having hard time to gauge its value. Many smart phones have a good GPS system.
One of the pros is definitely convenience. On the other hand it add more complexity which means more likely maintenance.
What are your opinions about having integrated GPS?
Thank You!

If you have GPS on your cellphone anyway it’s a waste of money. Unless, of course, you have kids that drive it too. In that case it’s a safety system that’s worth every penny.

I like having mine. The screen is big and clear. It automatically switches to a nighttime color scheme when my headlights go on. The voice plays over the stereo speakers, temporarily muting my music. I can control it with buttons on the steering wheel and voice commands. It can use the various sensors on the car to figure out my position when the GPS signal is blocked. I’ll probably get part of the initial cost back when I sell the car.

If I used my smartphone, I’d have to dig it out of my pocket each time I got in the car, use one of those unattractive mounts, and attach the charger to keep my battery from getting run down.

I’ll be getting a built-in navigation system on my next car (soon, I hope).

GPS on your phone can be difficult to see. I like reading the traffic alerts for the roads ahead, and I can’t do that with a cell phone. Maybe your young eyes can, but I wouldn’t do it with reading glasses either.

I prefer a GPS that I can put on the dash. You can get a bean bag stand to mount the GPS to. Put it in the glove box, center console, or trunk when you park the car. I got a Garmin a couple of years ago for about $150 that has lifetime traffic and lifetime map updates. The screen is a lot larger than your cell phone, too.

Whether its worth it or not is relative. It should help resale value and the screen is larger and easier to see. Then you can add weather and traffic if you want. A actually like it but we still bring the little one along too since the wife likes that one.

Do you have to renew or update every year costing you money? If so it would be cheaper to buy a Tom-Tom or something similiar with lifetime updates. They are not that expensive.

GPS on your phone can be difficult to see.

I don’t even look at mine. My cell phone and portable GPS, both give me voice commands and traffic warnings. I set it and drive.

I find ours useful, but not mandatory. If you have a smartphone, try that option and see if you like it. As for renewals, you don’t have to, it’s more of an update of the maps, which I do every few years.

I’ll stick with my Garmin large screen that sticks on my windshield. Like built-in sound systems, the obsolescence is very rapid. The price of these systems is also coming down fast. I’ll keep updating my system at very modest cost.

Ever plan to re-sell the car? Get the nav. If I’m buying a used car, it’s hardly any price difference between the nav and no-nav version. I’m not going to spend almost the same amount for a car that doesn’t have it. It’s not that you’ll make more money when you sell it, it’s that you’ll sell it faster.

Android/iPhone GPS is great, and I use it all the time when I’m in a non-GPS-equipped car, until you get into a bad cell coverage area, at which point you have no GPS unless you thought to download your route prior to starting out (which hardly anyone thinks of).

@meaneyedcatz

Do you have to renew or update every year costing you money?

I have an '07 TL. It has the '07 map disc in it. I’ll probably upgrade this year because the disc includes software updates to make it run better, and because a lot of businesses have failed since '07 and having updated points-of-interest will be handy. But it’s certainly not anything you need to upgrade every year.

I prefer having the features that require a visible interface.

Does anyone use maps anymore?

Yep, I do. I always have a map when I go someplace but I like the electronic version for the detail and a map for the overall.

shadowfax wrote:
I have an '07 TL. It has the '07 map disc in it. I’ll probably upgrade this year because the disc includes software updates to make it run better, and because a lot of businesses have failed since '07 and having updated points-of-interest will be handy.

You might want to upgrade soon, as your disc is currently on sale for $99.

I prefer having the features that require a visible interface.

My GPS has a visible interface. But I don’t use it when I’m driving alone. If I’m with my son or wife…then who ever isn’t driving will view it. Not very good idea for a driver to be viewing a GPS when they are suppose to be keeping their eye on the road.

I always keep maps in the car. There have been times the satellites have been down (sun spots)…and I still needed to get someplace.

@lion9car

You might want to upgrade soon, as your disc is currently on sale for $99.

Excatly why I’m considering upgrading :wink: I’m not paying full price for that thing, ever.

We have one dash type GPS and three cars to drive. Map updates are no problem; after three years, toss or give away the GPS and buy a new one for little more cost than an update unless you get one with free map updates. Our latest one has a 5" screen and that is large enough for my fingers. It can be used when walking, bicycling or motorcycling as well.

“My GPS has a visible interface. But I don’t use it when I’m driving alone.”

I don’t, either. I only use the GPS when we drive somewhere far away. Then one of us takes advantage of the visual cues while the other drives.

Aftermarket GPS is way cheaper ($150 or less) and can be updated regularly. Phone GPS could connect through a Bluetooth connection in the newer cars so directional commands can be heard though the radio. My phone has a GPS that talks. The output can be hard-wired or Bluetoothed into the car or my motorcycle helmet. Touch the screen and it gives the next command. That was free with the phone. GPS in cars is already obsolete.

I’ve tried inputting a destination while I’m driving, but it will only let me use previous addresses. If I want to input a new address, I have to be stopped to do so. All of this is done through steering wheel controls. It gives instructions, depending on where I’m traveling, at 2 miles, 1 mile, half mile, quarter mile and 600 feet.
While regular maps are fine for planning a route, GPS helps a lot when you miss your exit off the freeway and you don’t know your way around