GPS Updates what's the deal

So to update the Toyota GPS, 700, So bought a GM last week, only $199. Why is such a seeming necessity cost money? Our Garmins, at least 10 years old came with free map updates for life.
Conspiracy theory of mine, maybe we can sell more new cars if people do not want to pay the money for GPS updates. Your thoughts?

I never had a need for GPS.

I always know where I am, and where I’m going.

Tester

GPS on your smartphone is always current at no cost. Separate GPS devices are old technology.

3 Likes

I never get lost there is always some one who tell’s me where to go.

3 Likes

Can’t seem to program that into any gps :wink:

1 Like

That is the good thing I don’t need a GPS it is always a human who tell’s me where to go plus I don’t have to worry about getting cold when I get there.

1 Like

I do use either my Garmin or my phone. But in central Florida with the I-4 Ultimate construction and feeders into the Orlando an update is required before each trip, even then they might be out of date!
As far as built in factory GPS, yes, just additional profit for the manufacturer, should be constantly updated free. But then dashboard clocks should also be setup that way, along with two displays, your home time zone and the time zone your vehicle is in.

3 Likes

One of the reasons I bought the EX-L trim level in our 2017 Accord and 2019 Odyssey is that it didn’t have the GPS. Same screen and a USB cable for the smartphone costs a lot less than built in navigation.

3 Likes