2014 Chevrolet Spark - heat stops working

Well, get a quote from a Chevy dealer. Are they crooks too?

No heat in my 2015 and I find the Coolant reservoir leaks, so Im losing a quart every 100 miles…Chevy Dealer want $175 to diagnose. On line I find reports same problem and a mechanic warning that overheating can cause a headgasket failure. Chevy dealer wants $400 for the $50 plastic reservoir replacement and has NO IDEA that the problem is frequent by 50,000 miles…Conveniently my last payment and warrenty has expired at 65,000 Miles

Then get the $50 one and install it yourself.

Has NO IDEA what this part of the statement even means.

P.S. you can probably get that reservoir even cheaper at a junk yard.

2 Likes

Rock Auto has OEM reservoirs for $46 and a Dorman unit for $28. The Dorman is a direct replacement, not universal. I’ve had good luck with Dorman parts in the past. You might consider that one.

Did the $400 include labor? Have you viewed a YouTube video for what is involved replacing the reservoir?
Hmm, diagnostic fees are going up along with all other services.

Overheating is very bad for today’s engines. If your car is doing that, you need to get this corrected immediately.

2 Likes

If only the reservoir is leaking, and radiator coolant level checked frequently, ask your shop if engine overheating is still likely, since the radiator will still be close to full. Are you certain it is the plastic reservoir bottle that’s leaking? Usually the first cooling system leak a car experiences occurs from a faulty water pump. Consider that also, esp if water pump in same area.

Fixing cooling system leaks is a routine task for a shop, and seldom requires a dealership shop’s expertise. So you might be able to save a little $$ by using a well-recommended inde shop.