2013 Rav4 vs CR-V

Hey, posted a couple times recently as I look for a new (used) car. Just looked at at a 2013 CRV with about 120K miles, as well as a 2013 Rav4 XLE with about 90K miles. Rav4 would be $2.5-3.5K more.

Kinda liked the feel of the Rav4. In all the specs/reviews I’ve read both look pretty similar, with maybe a slight edge to the CR-V. Driving well in snow and on dirt/gravel roads is very important.

Any experience/opinions with these models?

Both have over 400 complaints at carcomplaints.com. The Honda has about one third more. Still, condition is paramount on an 11 year old car. Pick the one you like best and have a shop you trust do a prepurchase inspection. Expect to pay maybe $125 for the inspection.

2 Likes

Interesting, I checked those out. Reading several other sites that compare the two, most rank them extremely similarly, in most cases giving the slight edge to the CR-V.

I’ve had an older Toyota Camry a long time, and it’s been great, and so have a very positive view of Toyota, though don’t want to be unnecessarily swayed by that.

RAV4 is more? What is price of each?

?? 2013 Rav4 has 134, CR-V has 210. Hard to judge by number of complaints, popular cars have more.

I think the CR-V was prior to the gas in oil problem. but engine problems were the majority of the complaints, while the Rav4’s most common complaints were interior accessories. I’d prefer that.

I read the number of complaints at the top in the compare years bar. 668 for the CR-V and 410 for the RAV-4. I did not tally the number of complaints in the bar graph. There are a lot more complaints for all years than the numbers I gave above.

I’m missing it. This is what I see:

Rav4 asking 13.75K, will probably come down a bit. CRV tentative agreement around 10K. Both would need winter tires, but just learned CRV will need all seasons too.

I find the complaints really hard to gauge. Many seem minor to negligble. CRV does have more engine complaints, Rav4 seem more cosmetic. However, you read reviews for that year and “experts” generally say CRV has slightly superior handling. Don’t seem to be any widespread reports (besides that site) of CRV engine issues.

For one more point of comparison: I haven’t visited any dealers but emailed a couple and have a neighbor who works at one, who just told me about a 2013 Rav4 in good condition at her dealership. 86K miles, they have listed at $16.5K.

Looking more closely, it looks like a VTC actuator issue is by far the most common one, a little concerningly so. Wonder if anyone knows more about this, or has had experience?

Only way to know if that’s important to you is to drive them. Handling differences between those two would be at the bottom of my list.

1 Like

The OP should be aware that the CRV requires periodic changes of the differential fluid, using ONLY Honda Dual-Pump Fluid.

Failure to change that fluid every 25k-30k miles, or using the wrong fluid, will result in badly-binding front wheels when making low speed turns. The Rav doesn’t have this problem.

3 Likes

As discussed here:
Certain Cars May Require More Diligent Maintenance - Car Talk

1 Like

I clicked on 2013 and saw the screenshot below. The “compare RAV4 years” line is above the bar graph and shows the number 410 in the red bubble in the complaints box.

1 Like

Those bars don’t add up to 400-
edit - they do when you add in the NHTSA complaints.

1 Like

That is way over in my book Carvana s offering me 19k for a 2017 rav4 many bells and whistles 25k miles. Immaculate maintenance and warrant because bought out and end of lease till 2027, or 75k, Just checked 16,500, no not for sale.

Seems pricey as hell but that’s what dealers around here are asking these days!

Used cars are becoming a buyer’s market. If you like one, try negotiating a lower price. Know what a good price is. For instance, NADAguides.com estimates that a 2013 2WD RAV4 XLE with 90,000 miles would average $15,000 in Central Maryland. You can go to their website and enter the specific info on this RAV4 including options and your zip code and get their estimate. If average is 15 grand maybe you can get more off.

I’ve got a 2015 rav 4 and I believe it’s the same model as the 13. I love it. Want a new one but don’t have the money. It has 101.5K miles on it now. Not a one problem so far but I better keep my mouth shut.