CR-V Longevity

Hi all,

I’m the happy owner of a 2007 CR-V with approx. 180,000 miles. I was recently offered a 2003 Tundra with approx. 120,000 miles for a good price and it got me wondering… how far, assuming I keep up with regular maintenance like I have, could I expect my Honda to go? The expected longevity of my vehicle will play a big role in my decision as I do have use for the truck but love the CR-V and have found it does 95% of what I need a vehicle for. Is there anything besides regular upkeep that I should be doing to ensure the vehicle lasts as long as possible, should I keep it?

Thanks for the input!
Bryan

2007 CR-V should be avoided considering the enormous amount of complaints this vehicule had. Here is the direct link to the site http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/CR-V/2007/.
I would consider getting a 2003 Toyota Tundra due to its almost perfect realibility.

2 Likes

That question is similar to trying to figure out at what age to begin taking Social Security benefits. A key question to answer is, “How long do you plan to be alive?” One can make an educated guess based on current health, family history, etcetera. However nobody knows for sure.

Our old Chevrolet Impala has over 300,000 miles on it. Those Chevys with the 3.8L engines have a very good family history and it’s not unusual for them to achieve that kind of longevity, but who knows for sure?

Feeling lucky? :smile:
CSA

1 Like

You know your 2007 CRV. Unless you know the history of the 2003 Tundra, I wouldn’t go for an unknown.
I don’t put much stock in information on a 10 year old vehicle. Your CRV seems to be doing its job. I wouldn’t give much credibility to a list of complaints or a frequency of repair record for a 2007 CRV.

3 Likes

I agree, why even look. The OP has a vehicle they know about and it could run for years or die tomorrow. Just drive and see what happens.

3 Likes

How can the OP avoid a 2007 CR-V, that is what they already have.

4 Likes

At this mileage, you should expect to start replacing parts if you haven’t already. I consider it maintenance when parts fail at 180,000 miles, not repairs. Between 150,000 and 190,000 miles on my 2005 Accord, I replaced the air tube between the air filter box and the engine, the hood struts, and the rear brake calipers. Other than that, I replaced fluids and filters. I did the work myself, and parts were less than $300. If that level of “repairs” is too much, sell the CR-V now. It wouldn’t bother me, though.

The consensus was summed up in a song by artist: Shania Twain :

"You got to dance with the one that brought you
Stay with the one that want’s you
The one who’s gonna love you when all of the others go home
Don’t let the green grass fool you… "
CSA

3 Likes

I guess we can safely say that the CRV would need more repairs with time/miles. The question is where does the Tundra stand. Is it going to be better? Do you need a truck? You also will take a hit on the gas mileage.
Also, define “good price”; is it fair market value or almost free?
I think if it were me, would keep the CRV until repairs start creeping up and then shop for a replacement. Plenty of cars out there.

Relying on a website that only catalogs complaints is really nonsense. How many people are OK with their cars, and how many have driven many miles, kept up with maintenance and didn’t have any reason to complain? What a bunch of foolishness.

A Toyota Tundra is also a quality vehicle, but after 15 years there is absolutely no way to generalize that the one you are considering is a better vehicle. If it was me, and I had to decide between the CR-V I know and the Tundra I don’t know as well, I’d keep the CR-V.

To keep this in perspective, the largest number of complaints were 99 for the door locks. There were 219,000+ CRVs sold in the US that year so les than 1’2 od one percent complained.

Depending on dates of manufacture (mo/yr) that Tundra can be nearly 1 - I/2 times as old as that CRV.

I’m not sure how much the environment beats up cars where you live, but where I live that age difference would be quite significant. :fist_right:t2: :red_car: :fist_left:t2:
CSA

There are a bunch of TSB’s for this year of Honda CRV, my dad’s 2007 had the original set of tires wear out a little earlier than would be expected but the replacements have been much better. Other than that it’s been totally reliable. Which is why dad bought a Honda after years with a nightmare of a 1988 Plymouth Grand Voyager.

As long as you had the Intake Manifold design fixed. Failure rate on them is staggering.

1 Like

I live in the snow (rusty car) belt. Very often age dictates the life span of vehicles, rather than mileage alone. My 2003 Sienna has 223,000 miles but lots of rust issues underneath. My 2014 Mazda 6 has almost 98,000 miles but looks almost new underneath. The difference is 125,000 miles but, more importantly, eleven years (winters) of snow and salt spray. I should hit 200,000 in about three more years, at which point my Mazda 6 will only be six and half years old. I am certain it will be way less rusty than my Sienna is right now. When you live someplace like where I live, after ten years you can expect parts to start rusting off of your vehicles (calipers, brake lines, fuel lines, radiators, sub-frames, control arms, engine mounts, exhaust systems, and more). If you are lucky enough to live someplace dry and warm then age is much less of an issue but still present as rubber and plastic parts age faster in hot climates.

I’m the luckiest guy in town. My 1998 Regal had that 3.8L engine and after 14 years and 150,000 miles, there was never an intake problem. My father in law had an Olds and still has a Buick with the same engine and neither had this problem. I realize it is only a sample of three, but I never met someone that complained of the intake manifold problem.

Very lucky.

Do a google search, the internet is full of complaints.

1 Like

I have several of these. In hundreds of thousands of miles I have had no gasket problems, period. Our oldest GM 3.8L car is 17 years old!

There was a problem with intake gaskets earlier engines (in the 90s I believe).

These engines are as close to bulletproof as one can get!
CSA

According to the website I posted the years were from 1995 thru 2004.

If yours didn’t have the problem…good. Obviously not all did.

If I am not mistaken the 2007 Honda cr-v has a k series motor, the K series motors is one of Honda’s best engines, and probably one of the best series of motors ever built. I see them all the time with 300,000+ mileage on original motors and sometimes transmissions too. No one can really say how far your Honda will go. Change the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles and rear diffy about the same and you should have no problems out of it. In my opinion those are the only weak links that I am aware of.

1 Like