2013 Kia Sorento "ERROR" message on Instrument Cluster

I have a 2013 Kia Sorento V4. When putting something against the brake peddle to look at my break lights this “ERROR” came up. Key FOB doesn’t work, when inserting key fob into port it starts and gauges work (Fuel, Speedo, Gear etc.) but it has switched everything to metric settings on the speedo, range, tripometer. I’ve searched all over and couldn’t find the same issue but it’s hard to believe that pushing something on the brake peddle would cause the computer to fry. Any help is much appreciated.

I’m guessing pushing on the brake pedal & this problem developing is just a coincidence. If it’s not a coincidence, the battery may be on the fritz, and the brake lights turning on was enough to drop the voltage to the instrument panel, which caused a computer glitch.

Hopefully somebody here owns a Kia and knows the solution. If not, visiting a Kia dealership is probably your best bet. If I had that problem I think what I’d do if I didn’t want to visit a dealership is disconnect the battery and let the car sit overnight, w/the theory this will reset all the computers once the battery is re-connected. There’s a downside to this idea, it might make the problem worse. That’s just the way it is w/computerized cars these days. i.e. It might require a special scan tool only the dealership has.

If you know how to work a DVM you could do a basic check of the battery/alternator: Before first start of the day the battery should measure about 12.6 volts. Then immediately after starting the engine, 13.5 to 15.5 volts.

The battery was checked and is fine and I did the overnight disconnect with no results. It’s just so weird that it happened exactly when I went to check the brake lights with something holding down the brak peddle.

I do that ‘push the brake pedal with a stick’ thing too. I’ve never encountered any problem doing it though. It sounds like you’ve already done all the obvious things. I’m guessing this is probably easy to solve, but only a Kia Dealership will have the tools to do it.