2012 Ford Expedition EL shuts off

I have a 2012 Ford Expedition with about 119,000 miles on it. While driving the truck it will completely shut down losing all power with no warning. The “Air suspension disabled” will flash where the mileage should be. Or if I turn the truck off and try to turn it back on it will not start. Trying to get it to crank back up is a challenge, sometime it will take 20 cranks before the truck will start again. I took it to a Ford dealership where they first told me they could not find anything wrong with it because it did not bring up any codes on their code reader. I asked them to keep it and drive it around and it will eventually cut off while driving. They finally came back and said it was the PCM. I had them fix it, after 13 days of them repairing I picked my truck up, the very next day the truck stopped on me again! I took it back and now the dealership has had it for another 3 days and they STILL dont know whats going on with it. They’ve asked for an additional 3 days to try and figure it out. Can anyone help me with this problem since Ford (the manufacturer of the vehicle) has NO clue. Now I’m out of $700 dollars for a part that wasn’t even needed because it did not fix the problem.

What did Ford check over the last 3 days to find the problem?

Without more information my wild-donkey-guess is fuel pump but THAT is easy to diagnose and fix.

So far they still dont know anything. They said they need to consult other techs about the situation. :confused: They’ve hooked it up to the code reader again, I don’t know what all they’ve checked. I’ve read it could be a fuse blown or a new key (which I’ve had done).

One thing that can cause the engine to suddenly shut off is a faulty crankshaft position sensor.

The crankshaft position sensor informs the computer whether or not the crankshaft is rotating.

If the computer loses the signal from this sensor, the computer thinks the crankshaft isn’t rotating. The computer then see’s no reason to operate fuel and ignition systems, and the engine shuts off.

A faulty crankshaft position sensor doesn’t always turn on the Check Engine light. That’s what makes it so hard to diagnose. The failure has to occur at the time of diagnosis.

Tester

Thank you. I’ll ask if they’ve looked at that sensor.