2011 Volkswagen GTI - Dead spot

When starting from stationary position, accelerator sometimes has a dead spot and sometimes jerks forward. Car judders at very slow speeds.
Once moving, the car drives beautifully with no problems.

Do you have a check engine light on?? Have you checked for any codes or pending codes…

Possible dead spot in the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor or Throttle Body Assembly… but that is just 2 of many many different things that could be your issue… Dirty throttle body/blade…

How long has this been going on? Are you using the correct fuel or bad/cheap fuel?

Is it a manual or automatic transmission?

1 Like

I got a car with a dead spot at 50mph. Fine bellow 50 and fine above 50. I replaced throttle position sensor and fixed it. Took old sensor apart and checked it with vom. Yep, dead spot right at middle position of range. Might be similar issue for op.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, Cavell.

Hi Dave,

No check engine light. It’s an automatic transmission.

Just bought the vehicle. No problems evident when I took it for a test drive!

Thanks for the response.

I would still check for pending or history codes since you just bought it…

1 Like

Dual clutch automatic transmission, avoid driving at very low speeds, this can overheat the clutch.
The take-off hesitation is probably a DCT quirk.

2 Likes

No idea beyond a guess what’s causing your problem, but I experienced sort-of similar symptoms on my Corolla one time. In my case it wasn’t so much a hesitation, but the car lurched forward at times when accelerating during low speed driving, like going around corners in neighborhoods. Couldn’t do that smoothly. No check engine light. Fixed by re-calibrating the throttle position sensor and a dose of fuel injector cleaner. I believe I also re-calibrated the warm idle rpm to spec. Conventional manual transmission, so pretty sure it wasn’t clutch or transmission related.

Thanks for the tip, George.

I think Nevada’s DCT is the most plausible

Yep, VW had lots of jerkiness issues with the DCT.

Thanks for the response.