Jeep hesitation from dead stop

I’m submitting this a second time in hopes of a response. My son has a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis 5.2L V-8. It frequently hesitates when accelerating from a dead stop - like it’s choking. This happens more often when the gas level is at 1/4 tank or lower. We’ve had the injectors cleaned, gas tank removed and cleaned, replaced the fuel pump, and checked the fuel pressure. The mechanic nows believes the problem may be with the fan clutch. I’m in need of second opinions.

You might get a better response in the Grand Cherokee section at Jeepforums.com. Lot of good Jeep advice there.

Did you ever replace the fuel FILTER?

Replace it.

-Matt

Have you checked for CEL (Check Engine Light) codes? If not you might try to have them pulled to see if there are any.

I would also test the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). It may be faulty and cause this problem. It usually sets a CEL tho.

Thank you for the info. I will look into everything that was suggested.

The instructions for checking the throttle position sensor (tps) with a digital multimeter are in the Haynes (or, Chilton’s) JEEP repair manual [NOT the big book]. The tps is what tells the engine computer the throttle has been pressed.