2011 Ford Ranger - Window issues

Drivers side power windows’ switch does not operate either window up or down except rarely, then it stopped working at all. The passenger side switch works without a problem.

You need to replace the driver’s side switch.

How to Replace Power Window Switch 1998-2011 Ford Ranger (youtube.com)

2 Likes

If replacing the switch doesn’t do the trick, a failing window motor is probably next on the list. Still, it is a good idea to first visually inspect the door’s wiring for damaged insulation, where it goes from the body into the door, in the door hinge area.

Pull the doorpanel off. Unplug the window motor, check the voltage across the connector when you push the window switch. No power = bad switch. If you see power, jump 12v and ground to the motor. If it doesnt run = bad motor. If it does, check the regulator for binding.

If you don’t understand any of the above comments, take it to any well rated independent auto repair shop.

2 Likes

If I read your post correctly, the main window switch does not operate the passenger window but the passenger switch does. This implies it’s either the main window switch or the wiring. Do the power test suggested by @Mustangman. I think the main window switch needs replacement and the power test will confirm it.

1 Like

Correctly read…The passenger window works but not with the driver side switch…

The driver’s window is not working with its switch and there isn’t a second switch as a test. Certainly could be more than the window motor or the switch… could be broken wiring to the drivers side. Horses before Zebras… :wink:

1 Like

I agree, the drivers side motor/regulator does not effect the passenger window motor/regulator, so if the passenger window works with the passenger window switch but not the drivers, and the drivers window no longer works, I am replacing the driver master switch, that is most likely cause of the OP’s vehicle issue, yes it could be a broken wire in the door or harness from the door to the body, or even the power window module if it has one… But I have replaced way more modern day master window switches (tons of Fords) then repaired wiring in the door…

1 Like

I eventually found out that there is a connector that is NOT shown in the official Ford wiring diagram that had vibrated loose that supplies power and other functionality to the driver’s door. The connector is behind the dash on the left side and is almost impossible to get at! Too bad a person cannot even believe a genuine Ford manual.

2 Likes

I’m seeing two connectors in the wiring diagram between the accessory relay in the smart junction box (right side kick panel) and the front door, driver’s side . c2280c & c210. Grey/yellow wire.

In any event, good for you for figuring out why the windows weren’t working. Suggest to verify you are able to open all the doors manually from the inside, without electric power to the door locking mechanisms. Could be very important in event of a crash, etc.

There’s actually a third connector as I mentioned on a 2011 Ranger on the left side at the back of the dash that the GY-YE wire goes through to get power to the driver’s side door. Instead of doing voltage and continuity testing and removing things and then putting things back in place. It would have been logical to check this connection first but it wasn’t there according to Ford’s wiring diagram! In addition, the GY-YE wire had the stripe at the driver’s side connector to the Master Switch but when trying the trace the wire to the door hinge area, I found it no longer had the stripe for some distance. Apparently, the wire manufacturer had a glitch.

I would not want to be an auto tech for a number of reasons.

Thanks,

My Corolla came new with wiring that wasn’t supposed to be there, according to the factory service manual. The dealership installed it I think, part of their lot’s security system.

Auto techs seem to have a lot of fun on their jobs. I expect those folks that are auto techs quite like their work.

I wanted to mention concerning the connector issue I reported, I was mistaken about the wiring diagram not showing a connector. The interesting thing about the Ford Wiring Diagram, is that it does not show the complete connector and associated wires grouped together necessarily. In some instances, it shows a small symbol on one wire separated from all of the others in the connector, so it is easy to miss.

1 Like