2010 Ford Fusion "Service Power Steering Now"

You can, but the cost depends on what the actual problem is. There is no 1 set problem at a set cost.

2 Likes

Hi. My 2010 Fusion SEL first starting making what I call a scraping sound when turning the wheel. Thought it might be the shock tower at first. Drove with no faults. Then it would be hard to turn and I would feel a pop,then it would free up and turn ok but still making sound. On Thursday Aug. 19 drove it and parked. Went to back up and it became extremely difficult to turn. The warning light then came on, Power Assist Fault. Drove it home. Being mine made the scraping sound and still does makes me think the rack is bad but will see what my local shop thinks.
A few remanufactured options are available but not sure of the quality of them. Cardone.
BBB Industries. Those are on rockauto. Detroit Axle is another with lifetime warranty.
Anyone know the reliability of those ?

If a shop is going to fix it then they will use what ever they want to back with their warranty and what they have had success with . I hope you are not thinking of supplying parts because then they donā€™t have to stand behind the parts. If the parts are bad then you will pay more labor charges to have them removed and replaced.

3 Likes

I think that company has a pretty good reputation among 4WD truck owners and upgraders. No experience w/it myself.

1 Like

Some have a supposedly lifetime warranty. Iā€™m sure the shop isnt going to do it for free after the shopā€™s guarantee runs out, which usually isnā€™t that long. Iā€™m going to have to pay for the labor later on regardless if it becomes faulty. I get what youā€™re saying though. If itā€™s bad initially they wouldnā€™t back it.

Well now it will not move at all. The steering wheel barely moves back and forth.
Will have to get it towed. Thought I was going to be able to drive it to the shop as I didnā€™t think it would get any worse just sitting in the driveway. It did. Fuses are good.

Well it seems itā€™s my turn to chime in. I got a POWER STEERING ASSIST FAULT in my message center today on my 2010 Ford Fusion SE. Iā€™ve gotten that and the SERVICE ADVANCETRAC warning in the past but typically powering off and on the car has fixed it. This is the only time it hasnā€™t worked. I checked the fuse box below and to the left of the steering column(10A fuse), as well as the one under the hood(2x 50A fuses). All 3 fuses were in good condition. I hooked up my OBD-II scanner and got a C1277-20 code which is for the steering sensor alignment.

Seems like all signs are pointing to the rack and pinion, which is either going to be costly to get repaired or painful on my end to repair myself. Iā€™ve disconnected the battery(which had very mild corrosionā€¦ I saw some responses in this thread about that) and will reconnect it tomorrow. If that doesnā€™t work, Iā€™ll see if I canā€™t get an OBD cord for my laptop and plug it in to reset the code there. I did reset the DTC through my OBD scanner but the problem still persists.

I suppose in the meantime Iā€™ll sit here and wait for someone with magical advice on how to solve the issue tell me what to do.

you said it there- the problem still persists. The DTC code isnā€™t the problem, it is an indication that there is a problem, and as such- clearing the code will not fix the actual problem. The computer is still seeing a power steering issue, and will do so no matter what tool you use to just clear the code. Gonna have to fix it right to get rid of the code and return the power steering.

2 Likes

So glad I came across this post during my search!. My 2010 Fusion SE issues started 4yrs ago, turned my car off an back on an the power steering quit, turned it back off an on it worked. This happened a few times then eventually the power steering just went out when i turned it back on, paid an independent shop to have the rack n pinion changed. VERY PRICEY so i was good for 2yrs. Recently it went out again. i have a warranty on the rack so just paid labor and had it changed again. Worked great well for less than a month it worked great. During that month Iā€™ve had 2 bad tires that Iā€™ve had to put air in here an there (couldnt afford a new set at the time) anyway I had a message come up saying ā€œtire pressure fault sensorā€ while driving a couple times. New tires and rims are on their way with Fedex. My question: Iā€™ve seen where those sensor messages coming on and bad tire pressures can cause the power steering to spaz and cut itself off. When i relpace the tires and have the codes erased should this fix my power steering? Or will i need to replace the rack AGAINā€¦ Sean.smith you seem to know a lot about these types of issues with the fusion. I pray you can help or at least send me in the right direction.

Hi Kristie,

These electrical problems can be difficult to diagnose. However, Iā€™d be very surprised if your new tires and rims fixed a power steering issue. As I mentioned, mine occurred because of corroded battery cable but itā€™s very possible your issue is something different. If nobody has checked your battery cables it would be worth a quick inspection.

Seems unlikely tire pressure sensor problems related to power steering problem. I not seeing any known systematic problems with the steering rack on that vehicle. If you need to replace it again, suggest to ask shop use an oem replacement rack rather than aftermarket.

fyi, turning when going fast, esp over bumps, is hard on the rack and pinion mechanism. Suggest to avoid that when possible.

Greetings!

Found this thread after I experienced a similar problem earlier this week. Had a ā€œLow Tire Pressureā€ message appear (that I didnā€™t address in a timely manner) followed several weeks later by a ā€œService AdvanceTracā€ message. I parked the car for about 30 minutes and upon re-starting the car received a ā€œService Power Steering Nowā€ message and had lost my power steering. Tires are now properly inflated, but the ā€œService AdvanceTracā€ and ā€œService Power Steering Nowā€ messages remain.

Curious if a code reset solved your problem?

Itā€™s so interesting reading through this to see some of the common threads in the issues discussed. Iā€™ll jump in with some of my own!

Power steering went out again today (second time in 3 months). The first one was resolved by cleaning the battery terminals; the mechanic noticed a flurry of electronic alerts that came up at the same time and had a hunch it was a voltage issue. Today it went out again, so remembering that last experience I thought Iā€™d replace the battery to see if that would resolve it. It did not. Taking it to the dealership tomorrow.

TBH Iā€™m getting pretty tired of the recalls and trips to the shop. Iā€™m just about ready to trade it inā€¦feels like Iā€™ve put more money into this car than itā€™s worth.