2010 Ford Fusion "Service Power Steering Now"

Sean, Thank you for continuing to update based on your experience. My son’s 2010 Fusion just began having the “Power Steering Assist Fault” yesterday. I am disappointed that Ford does not consider the 2010 issue to be the same as the 2011+ issues that there is a recall for… The battery did have to be jumped recently due to the car sitting for a couple months while he was away at college. Tomorrow I will investigate for corrosion.

Robby, no problem… glad to help. I’ll be interested to read what you find.

I just wanted to post the results of what I did in case it is helpful to any of you still struggling with the phantom power steering or advancetrack error messages that reduce or turn off your electric power steering on your Ford fusions.

I have a 2010 Ford Fusion SE that I drive considerably for work. Like most of you, I encountered this failure for a reason completely unrelated to a problem with the steering.

I had driven too far on a too flat tire a couple of times and after getting the outrageous quote to replace the rack and pinion from the stealer I took it to a BrakeMax repair store and the mechanic reset the codes and the issue was fixed. After it happened a second time and I paid them another $100 to reset codes, I went to the FORscan web site, downloaded their free Windows software and bought a $50 OBDlink cable they recommended. After 15 minutes of learning how to use it, I reset the codes and the issue was again resolved. Do it… Buy the cable and download the Windows software and you are set.

That is the equivalent of putting a bandaid on a stab wound.

3 Likes

Yes, if you’ve been stabbed. But if you spilled red wine on your shirt and the car manufacturer and their dealer network is too effing stupid to know the difference then it’s a perfect fix.

You call that a repair?

Houston, we have a problem.

4 Likes

Hey everyone, so got about the same problem over here with my 2010 Ford Fusion SEL . Was driving yesterday and then all of a sudden the dash was saying “service advancetrac” and “service power steering” , and then the power steering completely gave out after turning off the car , then back on . I just bought this car , only 77,000 miles . So would calling my local Midas be the best first step before going to Ford just for them to get every penny they can? Only thing left I think I can personally try is checking the negative battery terminal as the positive looks clean and clear still

Midas , I would not use them for any kind of repair . Myself I would use a dealer as this might require some factory scan tools. It will not be cheap where ever you go.

3 Likes

. I just bought this car , only 77,000 miles . So would calling my local Midas be the best first step

That is the worst thing to do call ford or an independent.

3 Likes

+1
I might go to Midas if I needed a muffler. For anything else, I avoid that place–and ALL other chain operations–like the plague.

2 Likes

Okay so midas terrible idea . Noted for now and all future reference . When you say call an “independent” what do you mean by that ? I’m sorry for not being very knowledgeable here

Independent means a shop that is not a franchise related shop. Like Midas , AAMCO , Meineke and others . Frankly , I still think you might be better off at a Ford dealer . Yes , it might cost a little more but this needs to be fixed.

Are you in the US or some where else ? I ask because of you not knowing what independent means.

1 Like

You’ll be better served with a local repair shop, your local Midas may be a great shop but so many aren’t. There are some shops that take advantage of their customers, i’ve had a shop nearby recommended by several people who also told me to stay away from certain other places. But then my family has been going to the same place for 28yrs now and i’d have you take the car to them without question.

1 Like

Is there any chance of local repair shop being able to scan and reset if that is what is needed ? Or is that solely Ford that can do that ? Thank you for your response

A local shop can answer that as we have no idea where you are . Just start calling and you may find some one who knows what to do.

1 Like

You can ask an idependent if they can as I don’t know I am just a shade tree mechanic.

1 Like

So returning with an update . Took my Fusion to a trusted garage , and had then do a scan . Came up all relating to the control arm , so he had done a reset upon my request , which then restored the power steering . Codes were gone and car was back to driving perfectly until a week and a half later (last night) the same thing happened , driving home when the “SERVICE ADVANCETRAC” and “SERVICE POWER STEERING” light came on , but drove fine until I turned off the car , turned it on , then poof no more power steering again

It sounds like you have the same problem I had. It might be worth replacing the battery if it’s more than a year or two old and checking or changing that wiring harness.

Hey can I ask how much the power steering repair cost