2010 Ford Fusion "Service Power Steering Now"

My 2012 ford fusion was doing this/is first was the power steering fault that’s was a recal for Ford’s eps system. So I sent my car into a ford shop to find out they have to reprogram the computer then replace the rack witch was fine due to recals cost you nothing. But 6 months later I change my battery due to the weather conditions being -20 to -40 tempetures. Now I’m getting the service advancetrac and service power steering now. So I did some home work to find that this rack and pinion eps system is NON serviceable like wtf ford. Come Friday I’m hoping sean.smiths fix works because that’s my option since the battery and terminals are clean and free of cracks.

Any up to date info on the Ford Fusion hybrid power steering failing?

The battery corrosion is endemic to the breed. I fixed it twice. Second time I put a marine terminal on the POS side. I broke the fuse block. I got one from rock Auto about $30. The Ford guy asked for the link. LoL
I’ve got stalagmites on the box I suspect is the power steering. I need to get mine reset. Steering quit last night. Harder than an antique tractor.

I have a 2012 Ford Fusion and the day before thanksgiving my car’s power steering and advance track went out. I looked up information and found there was a recall so I took it to ford and it was fixed and I paid nothing. Now here early February, the same thing is happening again. Any advice?

What did they do for the recall? If you’re problem is the same as mine you would see corrosion on the positive battery terminal.

So I have a 2010 Ford Escape and I’m having this problem my low tire pressure light came on and wouldn’t go off until I decided to try to fill up the spare and then it went off but the power steering is not going off does anybody know of a recall for the 2010 Ford Escape as well this is garbage thank you in advance

So that means you have a low tire warning but nothing else? On a 9 year old car? And you fixed it by putting air in the tires? And you posted this in a 3 year old post about steering? Is all that correct?

You are new here, welcome, but new stuff should be posted as a brand new thread in “maintenance” so more people will see it.

So what’s the actual problem you want Ford to pay for?

1 Like

my 2010 ford fusion was showing “power steering assist fault” warning written on the screen, and my steering went hard to where i cant turn without heavy force. but after i changed my car battery to a new one, the power steering was working just fine for 3 days, till now. the earning sign came back on again and the power steering is not working. What should i do ? Should i then clean the terminal and get it reset? thank you

If the terminals are visibly corroded then I’d clean them and have the computer reset. If not, you might look into the integrity of the cable which would require disconnecting and doing some ohm checks.

1 Like

My power steering has been out for almost a year now. The VIN has the epas recall but the dealership says my problem is not because of the recall, that it’s because of control arms being worn and shortening out the electric power steering cable. None of it makes any sense to me. They quoted me $4,000 worth of repairs including the broken driver door handle on the inside that failed at about 50k miles to all the other things i never even was aware that there was an issue.
I’ve complained to the NHSTB and other car forums but still have a car that’s basically not drivable.
My fusion is a 2012, manufactured in Mexico is the SE trim. If anyone has any recommendations to assist me getting this car fixed I would be grateful. I’ll never buy another Ford. The air conditioning went out at 46,000 miles and had to pay big bucks for that.

Hi Laura,

Sorry that’s happening. I find it hard to believe that worn control arms are shorting a power steering cable. I could believe that your control arms are worn AND (you have a second unrelated issue) you have a shorted cable. Either way, if your dealership is anything like mine, they are probably trying to steal every penny you’ve earned. The unfortunate truth is that unless you happen to be a skilled technician the problem will be hard for you to diagnose yourself. I’d recommend getting a second opinion from a trusted shop.

On a positive note, the door handle is easy and quick to replace on your own. In fact, I made a youtube video when someone broke mine years ago.

Best of luck,

Sean

Hey Sean,

What exactly did the dealership download? This is happening to me now and I know you had said they reset the computer and downloaded something. How much did it cost?

Hey thanks Sean! I can def fix the door handle. Yes, it’s frustrating… as to why it’s been a year now, but it cancels out the need for a gym membership! My arms look great. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Sara,

The second time the dealership was supposed to download the fault code which is an alpha-nemeric (if memory serves). They never actually downloaded the code which is why I got my money back from the diagnostic charge… I think they charged something like $100.

I am having the same issues on my 2010 Ford Fusion. It started of with low tire pressure, I’ve been trying to find replacement tires to no avail. I plan on doing the basic steps of putting air in the tires and taking the battery out for an hour to hopefully reboot itself. But I assume I’ll have to take it in for the reset. How much does that usually run?

You can’t find tires for a Ford Fusion ? Seriously .
Reset cost , pick up your phone and call your local dealer .

1 Like

Not in my area that dont cost half of the cars worth. It’s been a two week wait with my usual tire shop. Also thanks for the advice… would of never thought of doing that. Just thought gee maybe just maybe I can get a rough estimate of the damage from someone who’s had this issue. Instead of sarcastic responses

I had the same problem. Ford first said they would replace the rack and pinion. It says on the paperwork that they replaced the pscm and nothing about the rack…$2600 later with a $400 core charge for a used part I never saw or received. I told them about my corroded battery and asked if they could reset the codes and they laughed at me and said the bad batteryhad nothing to do with the power steering and traction control failure. What do you guys think?

Cars seem like computers on wheels these days. What seems like a minor electrical problem might cause computers in the car to go nuts although it seems to start fine. Replacing a battery and cables seem cheap compared to the alternative. Just do it!

Sounds very similar to my experience. You may have paid $2600 unnecessarily which is why I’ve continued to post updates on this thread. I’ve kept my battery terminals clean and have not had those problems return for over 5 years.