2008 Lincoln Navigator possessed rear hatch

The rear hatch of my 2008 navigator seems to be possessed. It goes up and down on it’s own at random times. Sometimes it will go up and down repeatedly. Other times it just goes up, then half way down and then back up.The only time It stays down is if the engine is running, so it is drive-able. But if you go in a store, when you come out the hatch will be up, or doing the up/down thing.

I’ve checked the switches, made sure nothing was in the way of the door. Replaced batteries in the key fob. I have to pull the battery cable to keep it from going up at night. Also have tried the reset procedure.

Any thoughts?
Brent

First off, find the fuse that runs it so you don’t have to pull the battery cable. I’d try removing the battery from my remote and see if it still did this, to eliminate the remote from the equation.

If it does it every night while not in use, try removing the battery from your key fob for the night. If the hatch doesn’t act possessed, then you have a key fob issue. If it still acts possessed with no battery in key fob, you have a hatchback switch or body control module problem.

Tester

1 Like

Agree, I just need to figure out which fuse, the thing has so many. I think I know now, just need to try it.

I’ve eliminated the keyfob/s, that was my original thought.

Thanks
Brent

I’ve eliminated the keyfob/s, that was my original thought. Now to figure out the switches/modules.

Thanks
Brent

Exactly what mine is doing, but it says the fix is for 2018, and mine is a 2008. Says the fix isn’t for earlier years if I read correctly.

You may be looking at a flaky rear liftgate module.

Tester