2008 Kia Sportage oil filter is too small

Nope, The vernerable TH-350 is a 3 speed. The TH-700R4 is a 4 speed

2 Likes

What year is your Outback???

You obviously haven’t a clue what you’re talking about. Cars are far more reliable then they were 10, 20, 30 or 40+ years ago. That’s a fact. I’m sorry if facts bother you. But that doesn’t mean vehicles don’t break. So one has to ask if cars are more reliable, then why are parts sales going up?

Two reasons.

#1 - Lot more cars are on the road. That number has been growing steadily since 1960 and still growing. By 2040 the number could DOUBLE.

#2 - People are keeping them longer. On average over 11 years.

Denso - makes high quality products. I’ll put them against anything AC/Delco makes.

1 Like

I should know, I bought a TCI 700R4 Street-Fighter replacement from Jeg’s back in Sep 2006. And had the performance valve-body installed.

What you think you know, and the reality of it seem to be different. The 700R4 has four forward ratios. It’s a four speed transmission.

1 Like

When you had this done, did you make sure they rotated the engine’s valves?

1 Like

Ha Ha Ha very funny

Sounds like someone needs to read up on the 700R4:

1 Like

It’s a 2011 model that was delivered in October, 2010, and it is the absolute best vehicle that I have ever owned.

I guess I owe you an apology.
Brand: TCI Auto

Manufacturer’s Part Number: 371000

Part Type: Automatic Transmissions

Product Line: TCI StreetFighter Transmissions

Summit Racing Part Number: TCI-371000

UPC: 788120007177

Number of Gears: Four

Valve Body Style: Automatic/Manual

Transmission Advertised Horsepower Rating: 725

Torque Converter Included: No

Trans-Brake Included: No

Lockup Compatible: Yes

Transmission Pan Style: Stock

Tailshaft Length (in): 7.500 in.

Yoke Style: Slip-on

Input Spline Quantity: 30

First Gear Ratio (Automatic Transmissions): 3.06

Transmission Case Material: Aluminum

Transmission Shield Built In: No

Flexplate Shield Built In: No

Fluid Fill Location: Case

Dipstick Included: No

I owe you an apology:
Brand: TCI Auto

Manufacturer’s Part Number: 371000

Part Type: Automatic Transmissions

Product Line: TCI StreetFighter Transmissions

Summit Racing Part Number: TCI-371000

UPC: 788120007177

Number of Gears: Four

Valve Body Style: Automatic/Manual

Transmission Advertised Horsepower Rating: 725

Torque Converter Included: No

Trans-Brake Included: No

Lockup Compatible: Yes

Transmission Pan Style: Stock

Tailshaft Length (in): 7.500 in.

Yoke Style: Slip-on

Input Spline Quantity: 30

First Gear Ratio (Automatic Transmissions): 3.06

Transmission Case Material: Aluminum

Transmission Shield Built In: No

Flexplate Shield Built In: No

Fluid Fill Location: Case

Dipstick Included: No

I’ ve been reading these discussions about whether there has really been an improvement in gas mileage from “the good old days” and timing belts vs. timing chains vs. timing gears. The 1949 Nash 600 was called the 600 because it could travel 600 miles on a fill-up of its 20 gallon tank. That’s 30 mpg. To achieve this mileage, the car had to be equipped with the Borg Warner overdrive. The 1957 Studebaker Scotsman with overdrive could achieve the same mileage. However, this was a highway maximum speed of 55 mph. Both the Nash and Studebaker took about 20 seconds to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph. This level of performance would not be acceptable today.
The Nash also had an enclosed driveshaft (torque tube) which necessitated dropping the rear axle to remove the transmission to replace the clutch. The old stove bolt 6 Chevrolet 6 cylinder engine had fiber timing gears which were prone to failure. The 1969 Pontiac LeMans with the 350 V-8 had nylon timing gears which were also prone to failure. The 1968 Mercury Cougar with the 390 V-8 engine had spark plugs that required one to raise the engine to change the spark plugs.
The point is that there have always been cars that didn’t have easy servicing when designed. I like old cars as my first cars were from the late 1940s and 1950s. These cars are wonderful as long as someone other than me owns them. As for me, I prefer the engineering that as gone into today’s cars.

1 Like

GM also utilized “splash & drip” lubrication in that engine, LONG after other manufacturers had adopted pressurized lubrication.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I have you beat.

1985 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.0L V-8 TPI automatic (aut. 4) detailed performance review, speed vs rpm and accelerations chart

Complete performance review and accelerations chart for Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.0L V-8 TPI automatic (aut. 4) in 1985, the model with 3-door hatchback coupe body and V-8 5001 cm3 / 305.2 cui, 160.5 kW / 218 PS / 215 hp (SAE net) engine offered since November 1984 for North America U.S… According to ProfessCars™ estimation this Chevrolet is capable of accelerating from 0 to 60 mph in 7.2 sec, from 0 to 100 km/h in 7.6 sec and 1/4 mile in 15.6 sec. Below we present more detailed data of the official factory claim and the ProfessCars™ estimation, including acceleration times 0-100 mph, 0-160 km/h, 0-200 km/h, with comprehensive graphic illustration, top speed, accelerations on gears, speed vs rpm and overtaking times.

@VDCdriver Hudson also had splash lubrication on its 6 cylinder engines until its new advanced 6 appeared in 1948. This new engine, in modified form, went into the Hudson Hornet which won many stock car races. The Hudson flathead 8 soldiered on until 1952 or 1953 with its splash lubrication. Chevrolet modified the stove bolt 6 for the PowerGlide models for 1953 and in 1954 all Chevrolet engines had full pressure lubrication.

Sounds like those are estimates, not an actual test. Test data I have shows the Z28 4 speed manual trans with all performance options could do a 0-60 in 7.7 sec. I doubt the AT would match it.

I would tend to agree in an actual road test the 5 speed model went 0-60 in 7.1 seconds and did the 1/4 mile in 15.2 seconds. The data is from a 1987 model, but it had the same engine as the OP’s 1985 model. The automatics were typically more than half a second slower in each measure.

Per wiki for the '85:
“The 305 c.i. 5.0-liter TPI LB9 was rated at 215 hp (160 kW), with the 4-bbl 305 LG4 at 155 hp, and the 4-bbl High Output 305 L69 at 190 hp (142 kW). A total of 2,497 L69 IROC-Z models were made for 1985. The LB9 was available only on the Z28 and the IROC-Z model with the TH700-R4 automatic transmission.”

So it really depends which 305 we’re talking about.

OP has a 1985 Z28 with the automatic so he has the Tuned Port 305. By 1987 you could get the tuned port 305 with the manual, which is the version tested in the C&D test I linked.

You sure? He listed that in the post with the estimated performance, but I couldn’t tell if that’s what he has.