2008 Kia Sportage oil filter is too small

Sorry for the confusion. I have the LB9 TPI automatic 700R4.

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/performance/1985/458780/chevrolet_camaro_z28_5_0l_v-8_tpi_automatic.html

todays engineers are idots
 that’s rich. Engineering in cars has never been better than it is. Do you think they put a small filter on it so the engine would blow up and you’d go by another KIA?

If you want to second guess the engineers change the oil and filter a little more often than recomemended. At leas you can’t hurt it that way and there is really nothing more important than keeping clean oil in a car.

I doubt you going to find a bigger filter to fit it and if you did you’d have to consider it fills with oil leaving less in the oil sump and leaving a little less available to be pumped.

with a lock up converter that works in third as well as forth.

That may explain the complaint that somebody stated in an article in Hemmings Classic Car magazine. He stated that the bearings in all of his Hudson eight cylinder engines always “rattled”, and he didn’t know the difference until he upgraded to a Packard, which–of course–had a silky-smooth, silent straight eight.

and lubricated the muffler bearings and carburetor swivels.

A small filter is better than no filter. I once owned a 1955 Pontiac. It was the first year of the V-8 engine in the Pontiac. Earlier Pontiacs came with either a flat head 6 or a flat head inline 8. At any rate, a full flow oil filter was an option even though the engine was equipped with hydraulic valve lifters. The 1955 Pontiac I bought in 1962 had just been overhauled by the Rambler dealer who took it in on trade. I had trouble from day one. The rocker arms were lubricated through passages in the mounting studs. These studs would plug up and the rocker arms would chirp. Since there was no rocker arm shaft, outside oil lines couldn’t be fitted to the engine. I did put an oil filter on the engine, but I still had trouble. I don’t blame the engineers. I blame the bean counters who made the oil filter an option.

yet you though it was a 3 speed. why on earth would you put a street fighter behind a 33 year old V-8 smog motor?

You’re making it up as you go a long. It’s harder to get caught lying if you stick to the truth. You’ve been driving it and you though it was a 3 speed.

BTW to other 700R4 fans. The are pretty tough. If you want to take it to the strip just adjust up the throttle cable. It not only raises shift points it raises line pressure so it shifts high and hard. drive it around town that way and you’ll feel it thump when it shifts. When, for instance, the piston comes barreling down and shoves those clutches together there isn’t time for much wear. They are much more prone to wear, as is the band, if the line pressure is too low and it shifts sloppy slow.

Yup, that too!

Y’know, it’s almost ironic. They say one of the first signs that you’re a natural-born engineer is that whatever you see, no matter how perfect it is, you want to improve it. That, of course, is not the same as thinking the guy who designed it was an idiot
 even if you actually do see a way to improve it.

Another sign is spending three days and $250 repairing something you could have replaced for $19.95 at the department store.

I’m sorry to say I have the affliction. Bad.

4 Likes

Buck, you’ve gone to great lengths to convince everyone that engineers are idiots. You’ve also implied that engineers at Kia were too stupid to put in a proper sized filter.

That has left me curious, what do YOU do for a living??
How would YOU determine the engine’s filter needs??

2 Likes

Any damn fool can over-engineer everything and wind up with a car that nobody can afford, and still not end up with a better car to boot. One well known aircraft designer stated that every airplane is a large group of compromises flying together in close formation.

Many, many years ago, I was flying to Seattle, and in the seat in back of me was a Boeing engineer who was engaged in conversation for most of the flight with a young guy who expressed interest in his work. I am not the most comfortable about flying to begin with, but when I heard this guy say, “
 and of course, the engineering on this new model has just as many problems as our older models”, I became even more nervous.
:dizzy_face:

Gulp!

Ok I admit I went too far when I said today’s engineers are idiots. I apologize
 I seems to me that they tend to over complicate some components which should have been kept simple, like the timing belt tensioner, and under design the critical components which need to be durable like ignition switches, ABS brakes, power steering and coolant pumps. And how about the recall for carbon-monoxide leaks into the cabin compartment??? You have to admit this is poor engineering at it’s worst. P.S. Kelly Johnson from the Skunk Works was the best aeronautical engineer. SR-71 fame

LOL, both statements are absolutely true
 and, as a former USAF avionics tech on B52 Bombers, I liked the last one in particular. It could be argued that the same is true of automobiles.

Re: the first statement, overengineering is always a hazard to be guarded against. In the '70s it went in the other direction
 major automobile manufacturers had guys they called “value engineers” whose job was to take all the design work and look for ways to cut costs (read “cut corners”). They did so with aplomb. If a metal part could be replaced with a plastic part, it got changed. If a plastic part could be replaced with a thinner plastic part, it got changed. Note that this is not to be confused with DFM or any of the other design approaches (the acronyms for which I’ve forgotten) that we ultimately began importing from the Japanese. I’m very much an advocate of these imported technologies.

I think if I showed the 2.75x2.75 inch oil filter to a group of elementary students, and asked them if they felt the filter was too small, too large or just the right size to adequately filter the 4.8 quarts of oil in the crank case. They would probable say it was too small.

Then they’d be wrong. Do you have anything that says this engine suffers from having a too-small filter? Any unusual record of engine wear caused by contaminated oil?

1 Like

I don’t think it would break the bank to equip the 2.7L V-6 motor with a larger oil filter. Why don’t you poll the average size oil filter for similar V-6 2.7 Liter displacement motors, and see how the Kia’s compares???

I think the fact that the crank case hold 4.8 quarts of oil makes up for the small filtration area of the oil filter.

And they would probably be wrong. You can NOT make any valid statements on the correct size of the filter unless you run some very comprehensive tests. Without tests and hard data - then you’re just making a very uninformed guess.

#2 - IF there was a problem with the size of the filter - then show me the engines that are failing. There should be plenty of failures. But since you can’t, the only conclusion is that the filter is fine.

3 Likes

So you believe elementary school students are more knowledgeable about engine filter selection than design engineers? Interesting. How could anyone possibly offer an intelligent rebuttal to that?

4 Likes