2008 Chevy Impala accelerator pedal sensor

Our engine light was on, then a message “monitor tire service” (that’s paraphrased). One tire was a little soft. The technician who filled it said the problem might be in the sensor, and even if not, it might take a while to clear the message. Well, the message did not clear, and on the way home the car was running uneven and a little jerky at times. We went to our mechanic who (using a hand-held computer) told us we need a new sensor for the accelerator, BUT that he didn’t have the equipment so we had to go to a dealer.

Now, looking for a dealer, and info, my husband stumbled on several Youtube videos showing how to replace the part yourself. The pedal and remote sensor are a unit, and they unplug and unbolt in <5 minutes. These people all went to AutoZone and bought the part for $72. And they say it self-programs when you plug it in. (The dealers want between $300 and $600 for the part, labor and programming.)

So the question: Is the programming necessary? Is it safe to just put the part in yourself? AND, if safe, how about getting a used one? (There’s a great pick-your-own place near here.)

The other thing I wonder about, one of the service mechanics at a dealership said they should do an analysis to make sure what the problem really is. So, are they saying the code our mechanic got was not enough? Do they make a better analysis, or is this just to scare people?

I definitely wouldn’t buy a used one. This part is too critical. $72 is not that much.

That $72 pedal assembly is probably a Dorman cheap chinese part

If it works, great

I’m really hesitant to recommend such cheap parts. I’ve had spotty luck with them over the years

Autozone lists “Duralast” brand, whatever that is. Rock Auto lists only Airtex/Wells and Standard Motor Products, both at just over $60 a pop.

What is the price for an OEM part from the dealer? Even if it’s $100 or so, that’s a lot better than dealer installation.