2008 Camry hybrid - replace battery or not

My hybrid 2008 Camry has 125,000 miles on it. Runs great. The engine was part of the Toyota recall to replace the rings and pistons at 98,000, so some of the engine is still relatively new. I found a national company, Green Tec Auto, that will replace the battery for $2200 new or $1550 refurbished. As I’m coming to the end of my current battery’s life I’m wondering if I should replace the battery instead of purchasing a new car. Things to consider: not as many safety features as new cars, some parts of my car are getting old. I’ve lately had 3 cars (Volvo and Jetta) and the Camry by far has been the best and least expensive to maintain. Its interior is immaculate and I have replaced the starting battery (that lasted 11 years).
If I took it to an independent repair shop what should I ask them to look at to see what else may need to be repaired?
Bushings
Brakes
Transmission
water pump
suspension
coolant
??
Suggestions?

Why do you say that? Are you having any problems? The battery could last another 100,000 miles.

1 Like

I thought the hybrid batteries lasted 150K at best. I’ve had not issues with it. I’m figuring the battery is like any computer/phone battery that it has only so many times it can be re-charged. I was hoping there was a way just like apple computers that tracks those cycles.

On first generation Prius, the hybrid batteries
went 200k with still 90% capacity.
Your has essentally the same setup.
I would leave it alone unless you have trouble.

1 Like

good to know.

Just tell them that you want an inspection and leave it up to them they should know what to look for.

1 Like

The important thing is whether you notice a difference in permanent, including gas mileage, and whether that bothers you. As long as the car meets your expectations, you shouldn’t need to do anything except keep up with normal maintenance.

1 Like

I think part of the confusion on Toyota hybrid battery life comes from some articles I’ve seen that say something like ‘Toyota says their battery will last 100k-150k miles or 8-10 years’. Toyota doesn’t say that, they warranty the battery for those miles/years (depending on whether it’s covered by CA regs). That’s much different than the actual expected life of the battery.

2 Likes

I say leave the battery alone until there’s a sign of end-of-life.
The price of replacement is very reasonable, compared to the cost of an engine or transmission in a regular car.
Just keep a repair & maintenance fund on hand, if you can.

1 Like

another thing to keep in mind. used car prices are through the roof right now. great time to sell, but a bad time to buy. and new cars are hard to get because of the chip shortage and cargo ships backed up at all ports. I would keep your car as others have said. at least until things get back to normal. or some what normal. also some dealers are putting large markups on their new cars because of what is going on.

1 Like

$10k to $20K Dealer Markups Now Common Due To Vehicle Shortage - Your Options | Torque News

Dealership Markups Are Getting Insane (thetruthaboutcars.com)

Yeah, $1550-$2200 for a battery is CHEAP compared to trading in for a new(er) car.

1 Like

Thanks all of you for your input as the opinion seems unanimous. The 10 yr/150K is a California law where I live so I figured that was about the limit of the battery. I will continue it’s normal maintenance and continue to the 200K with more confidence.

3 Likes

Even if you pop for the new battery at $2200, that seems like a pretty good deal to me. The cost for a new car is going to be way more than that. A general inspection is a good idea, will provide some basic info you need to decide. Brakes, bushings, water pump, suspension, coolant, all that stuff is relatively easy to fix. As long as the routine maintenance has been kept up-- oil and filter changes —the gasoline engine shouldn’t be an issue at 125K miles. The key issue I’d ask the inspecting shop to check is the condition of the hybrid motor unit. Those aren’t easy to fix and quite very expensive to replace.

Not sure what they’d check. If the car’s working fine I wouldn’t worry about it.

As for the hybrid battery, shops that rebuild and replace them can check the condition.

I don’t know how those are checked either. No hybrid experience. But it must be possible to shop-check some of the functions.

Are you aware of folks having problems with Toyota hybrid motors? I’m not.

Not that I’m aware of. But it seems like they must fail from time to time.

That recall is for 2013 and newer, OP’s is a 2008, so not part of the recall

I’m seeing 4 or 5 tsb’s for the 2008’s hybrid drive system. Not overly concerning, but worth mentioning.