2007 Caliber SXT

Car won’t start and it isn’t the battery. Help I’m at work

Well, gee - one of us will be right over.

Are you kidding? How is anybody supposed to advise you without any information? The number of problems that might cause a car not to start is HUGE.

If you really want some suggestions say as much as you can:

• describe in as much detail as possible what the car does when you get in and turn the key. (If you go to try again, turn the key to on before all the way to start and listen for a humming sound that should go for 2-3 second - report whether or not you hear it).
  • explain why you say it isn’t the battery.
  • give a little of the history, if any. Is this the first time this has ever happened? Or have there been other events or warning signs? Have you had any work done on the car lately? Has anything strange happened lately? Do you keep up with the maintenance? When is the last time the car did start? How long ago did you shut it off?

Call AAA!

The solution is spelled w-a-r-r-a-n-t-y.

Call the dealership to see if you can be towed without charge. Most manufacturers include at least a year of free road service with new cars nowadays, but I have to admit that I don’t know if Chrysler includes this. It doesn’t hurt to ask.

If Chrysler cheaped out on this benefit, then either call AAA (if you are a member) or call a towing company and pay them with your credit card. If you were wise enough to pay the extra $10. or so per year for towing on your auto insurance policy, you can be reimbursed by your insurance agent.

Now matter how the car gets to the dealership, it is their responsibility to repair the problem FREE of charge under the terms of the bumper-to-bumper warranty, which probably runs for 3 years/36, 000 miles.

You were aware that the car has warranty coverage, weren’t you?

You don't tell us a lot.  How do you know it is not the battery?  What exactly happens when you turn the key?  

Since it is a 2007, it may be covered under warranty so call the dealer.