2006 Dodge Grand Caravan Dash/headlights/interior flickering

So everything was normal and all of a sudden my dash and all the lights started flickering, later on the dash started beeping and the gauges move up and down by themselves. Changed the battery and it worked fine for 2-3 months but now the problem is back again and the alternator was reading normal when I checked it before the battery change. What could the problem be? The mechanic shop said they could not figure it out

I suggest that you check the alternator again, because it sounds like a possible problem with voltage spikes. If the alternator proves to be working normally, this could be yet another case of Chrysler’s Totally Integrated Power Module failing.

2 Likes

My diy’er version for routine battery & alternator test: Before the first start of the day the battery should measure about 12.6 volts; then immediately after starting the engine, 13.5-15.5 volts. You are welcome to post what your shop measures.

Sounds like the alternator is letting the battery slowly discharge over a period of time. Weak alternator or voltage regulator? Charge the battery fully and see what happens and get one of those $20 plug in voltage gauges and monitor the output while driving.

This is probably a lack of current from the battery. The charging system is good and the battery is relatively new. I would be looking for a bad connection from the cables. I’ve owned a caravan and a Town and Country of this year for many years and they both need their battery terminals cleaned at least twice a year. Try removing the cables from the battery and cleaning the cables and terminals with a battery terminals cleaner.