2005 Ford Mustang - Flooding

Occasionally my car floods on start up, when this happens it will do it on the next four or five start ups. Most of the time it does not happen on start up at all. Is there anything I can check to find out why?

I presume you mean it cranks robustly, but won’t start. The first question is what symptoms occur that make you think the problem is the engine is flooded? That might provide a clue for us here.

If it is actually flooding (too much gasoline in the cylinders for the conditions), that could be a faulty coolant temp sensor, faulty injector(s), or faulty fuel pressure regulation system. Slight possibility of a computer malfunction too.

Did you have any recent work done on it? Are all the original pollution control devices still in place? (e.g. cat conv, intake components, etc) For some odd reason, people feel a need to take those off Mustangs.

I read a faulty or maladjusted MAF sensor can do this also. (Thinks more air is coming in than actually is.)

When it does it, the car will start when I depress the accelerator to the floor and the smell of unburned gasoline indicates it was flooded. Injectors and plugs are new.

Thinking about it the problem has only occurred when the engine really never had a chance to get warm after the previous start. Like moving it off a trailer to a spot at a show, or pulling it out of the garage to detail it.

The car has all the pollution control devices on it. But I have just installed a super charger system (in April) before this started to happen. I have contacted the support at Whipple and they said they have never had this problem so they think it’s something else like the fuel pressure sensor.

THAT is causing your problem.

Of COURSE they are going to say that. It IS their fault since the re-programming of the engine control computer was something THEY did. Doesn’t matter if they’ve never seen this before, they don’t test these systems as extensively as Ford did. If they refuse to fix it, find a shop that can “tune” the calibrations in the engine, preferably on a chassis dyno, to solve the problem.

I guess if I had that problem and wanted to ignore the super-charger for the moment, first thing I’d do that’s quick & easy, when it won’t start remove a spark plug and see if the electrodes are wet w/gasoline. If so, at least then you knew you were definitely dealing with a fuel problem. Next thing I’d do, research how the cold start function works. What are the input sensors? Beyond that, a fuel pressure measurement.