2004 Nissan Sentra - Slipping transmission

Transmission slips from first to second only when its cold, for maybe the first 30 minutes. After that it goes away…anyone know a solution?

How is the fluid level and condition an when was it last changed?

Car is in good condition, it has 44867 miles and the transmission fluid is good… I’ve had the car for 2 years now…it’s had the same issue since I’ve owned it. I brought it to Nissan for service and asked then to check the transmission and they came back with( we didn’t find anything wrong with it)…

You don’t need the dealer find a good independent transmission shop and not a chain like AAMCO most of the posters here say the fluid should be changed every 30000 miles.

2 Likes

Was the car warmed up when they got it maybe that is why they didn’t find anything wrong?

1 Like

Classic sign of worn, hardened internal seals.

Yes it was lol…

1 Like

You could maybe take it in the day before and leave it overnight so it would be a cold start in the morning for the mechanic to check.

1 Like

I believe I’d change the fluid and filter and hope for the best. There’s generally not a lot they’ll be able to do for a slipping transmission besides that, other than replace worn parts inside…which I’d wait to do until it was slipping severely because if you’re going in to replace internals, you may as well rebuild the transmission at that point.

1 Like

It is 17 years old and time does play a part, and havoc, with internal transmission seals; and fluid so I agree with NYBo.

Change the fluid and hope for the best. Hopefully this has not gone on too long and with excessive revving.

1 Like

I used to have '96 and 2001 Altimas, both bought around 50K miles on the clock and both had that slip between 1st and 2nd when cold.
Changing ATF definitely improved that, but not to the point where it would be “normal”.
Sold both cars with 100+K on the clock, they still were slipping the same way as when I bought these.

Nissan Transmission Problems (youcanic.com)