Strange transmission slippage

2018 Toyota RAV4, 27K miles, zero degree morning, in either Drive or Reverse acted almost like Neutral. After about 5 minute warmup back to normal. Fine since, but warmer weather. Anyone ever even heard of anything like this, or have any ideas as to explanation?
Edit-- Not a CVT

my daughter was leasing a 2018 Hyundai Elantra. and in really cold weather it would feel like it was slipping a little for a few minutes until the tranny got some temp in it, then it was fine. I would think it is because the fluid is thicker when temps are really cold. just like engine oil.

1 Like

Yes, true.

But also low miles and short trips tends to build a little varnish on the control surfaces inside the transmission. Might be good to plan a trip that takes at least an hour there and an hour back when it warms up a bit.

Well, it’s 4 yrs old. So, things pop up.

Hyuandi was using those stupid dual clutch transmissions at that time (we had a Tuscan). They stopped using them rather quickly. First they tried using a dashboard light telling you that the tranny was overheating in traffic. Then when they realized that we are in the 21st century and nobody is going to put up with that, they temporarily went back to four speed automatics until they designed a regular eight speed.
We leased the Tuscan. I hated it for this very reason. Otherwise it was a great car. I tracked this whole story.

DCTs. Hyundai still uses them.

Okay, so after a year of normal operation, subzero temps return and so does tranny slip for first 5 minutes or so. Last year I took it to Toyota dealer when I noticed a single drop of trans fluid under it right after the original slipping incident. The mechanic said they found nothing wrong, definitely nothing like coolant in the trans fluid, and an occasional drop from a transfer case was considered normal (really?) Dealer said this would be considered a reported issue, and would extend my powertrain warranty at least a year.
I don’t mind letting the car warm up for a while in cold weather, and is this little matter just too weird to ever expect an explanation?

Is the fluid level low? The fluid expands with heat and the transmission starts working properly.

No low or contaminated fluid according to the Toyota mechanic.
I seem to have chanced upon an unheard of anomaly apparently.

Tester

1 Like

Presuming a conventional automatic transmission, I expect you will likely require a transmission rebuild at some point, sooner probably than later. Conventional auto transmissions require very high internal fluid pressures to develop the force needed to effect the shifts. The fluid path must completely contain the needed pressure. Seals in that path stiffen and harden with age, colder temperatures, etc, and eventually start to leak, at first just a little and maybe only with extra cold temperatures. Internal leaks usually, not to the outside.

I had this exact problem with my 15 year old truck (at the time). It was in the shop for a trans rebuild within 2 weeks of it first happening. Good news, the rebuild fixed the problem entirely. One odd circumstance about this particular problem, vehicle isn’t very old. So maybe there is a different problem than I just described.

My wild guess is that this peculiarity will continue in zero temps, and as I said I’ve no problem with a 5 minute warmup. I just hope it doesn’t worsen much before I can retire from cars in a few years.

That strategy may well work b/c it is a 2018, parts aren’t aged. Ask your shop if a seal-conditioning chemical treatment added to the trans fluid might help. Or maybe just drain & replace the trans fluid. New trans fluid contains fresh seal conditioners.