2004 Mazda 3 NOT SHIFTING INTO 5TH GEAR TRANNY PROBLEM?

“OP” means Original Poster, meaning you started this post.

As @eddo mentioned, no one was using code to say anything nefarious about you with the OP.
As far as being offended, I assure you I am not three years old, but on a public forum, I strongly dislike colorful language.
As far as your bragging about breaking the law and endangering lives, I’ll put it this way - you just walked into a room full of educated car enthusiasts, most of whom are parents and/or grandparents, and implied that you have no regard for their loved ones. You should probably expect some backlash.

Thanks i just wondering because a few people mentioned it a few times.

1 Like

You are in our house, you follow our standards of decorum. If you want unfettered swearing and juvenile BS, try somewhere else.

Ok i didnt assume you were using code to say something about me and about the language first of all it was directed towards myself not at anyone else second of all i didnt try to offend anyone by it again it was directed at myself third of all i think we all said some cuss words in our life time assuming were all grown ups here. And I wasnt bragging about breaking the law I simply was making a joke and i stated the real reason that i was on this forum because i didnt know if i was going to have replace my transmission or something. Lastly I usually obey the speed limits but if youre a routine driver like me and drive every morning from Harrison New Jersey to Brooklyn New York just to make a living then i feel your allowed to break some rules at times and most of the time i do break the law its on a open highway with no other cars in sight so im not really putting nobody in danger but myself so yea i again thank everybody for trying to help me out and i seriously didnt mean to offend anyone.

Wow “unfettered swearing” i said two cuss words that were directed at myself and now im the scum of the earth apparently .

Don’t take this the wrong way, but it appears you know very little about your own car, we’re just trying to enlighten you. I mean, you’re mistaken in calling a serpentine belt a “generator belt” , you don’t seem to realize that your car has an automatic transmission, or the number of gears it actually has (despite posting evidence that basically refuted your own claim), you hilariously assumed that your normally aspirated 2.3L econobox could do 140 MPH because that’s what it said on the speedometer, and from what you posted you don’t seem to take very good care of you car to begin with.

It would behoove you to listen to people who are more knowledgeable than yourself about the subject matter you’re inquiring about. People are taking time out their day for your benefit.

5 Likes

…all of which suggests that the OP has never bothered to take his Owner’s Manual out of the glovebox in order to read it…
:kissing:

At what point did i discredit someones advice that was given to me ive listen to everyone and it has shed light on my cars information that i didnt know but when people are just commenting because i said two cuss words its just puzzling. Im not being ungrateful ive taken everyones information even yours even though reluctant at first i then realized that you were correct, so i am listening to people what would make you think im not.

I have looked at the manual plenty of times in fact it helped me replace a fuse that was shorted in the fuse box. I believe it was my fuel pump fuse.

What did your Owner’s Manual state regarding the number of gears in your transmission?

I dont believe there is a section regarding the amount of gears i have. I use it for maitenence and repairs.

And there we are

I humbly refer to you to page 5-14 of your owner’s manual

“Manually Shifting up
(M1→M2→M3→M4)
To shift up to a higher gear, tap the shift
lever back ( ) once.”

and

“Manually Shifting down
(M4→M3→M2→M1)
To shift down to a lower gear, tap the shift
lever forward ( ) once.”

It clearly states that there are four forward gears.

You can look at a pdf of the manual here

Ok im sorry i dont study every page of my owners manual and i do realize now that if i had to referred to my owners manual when i thought i had the transmission problem i wouldve seen but i guess you dont get that ive been driving this car for so long and i believed i had a 5th and 6th gear that it was so hard to believe that i didnt. So im sorry i guess i shouldve studied every page of my owners manual. I use my owners manual for changing oil and coolant etc. But if i had known that so many people such as yourself would get butthurt over this i wouldve never have came here in the first place.

You don’t have to do that. You just have to look at the index.

So, lemme get this straight. You come in spewing misinformation and general ignorance your own car. I, along with several other people take it upon ourselves to give you correct information and advice. I even do the leg work of looking up the owner’s manual of a car I don’t own in order to provide you with correct information (about your car ) I post the information for your benefit as well as the source of the information. And you seem just as flippant as ever about it. Yet somehow I’m the “butthurt” one?

Well, All I can say is “I tried.” Enjoy your 4 speed automatic transmission

You make me laugh because i told you i realized that you were correct about my transmission and yet you quoted me to try to say i wasnt listening to other peoples advice when in fact was. And again the only time i did discredit someone out of disbelief was with you but then researching i found out you were right. I showed mostly everyone respect and didnt respond with immature or offending remarks. And honestly i dont think you looked up on google which literally takes like 2 seconds just to help me, i think you wanted to look it up just to show you were right on the matter of the subject but youre right this should end im certainly done with this.

Just curious what exactly that is. I’ve never heard that term before. Is it y a normally configured manual transmission that has some type of automatic clutch mode? Where instead of pushing on the clutch pedal & moving the shifter knob to shift gears, if the auto-mode is enabled it pushes on the clutch and moves the shift knob automatically for you?

Thats basically what it is. In my car i dont have a clutch pedal or paddle shifters, i just have a plus and minus sign that controls the gears with my shift knob but im sure if you google it it will come up

Tiptronic is a Porsche/VW trademark name for a automatic transmission with a manual shift feature.

For most manufacture with this feature a common automatic transmission is used, the shift lever has a second gate or a position for manual shifting. The shift lever is moved left/right or fore/aft for an upshift or downshift.