2004 Mazda 3 NOT SHIFTING INTO 5TH GEAR TRANNY PROBLEM?

. The Tiptronic is simply an automatic transmission with provisions for the driver to “shift” by hitting a button, moving a lever, or tapping a paddle. it’s physically an automatic transmission though, an thus it’s considered an automatic transmission. The “shifting” is all done computer, the computer also handles tasks like shifting the transmission into first if you come to stop whilst in triptronic mode and it won’t let you downshift or upshift in certain conditions. Like when a downshift would put the engine at redline or when an upshift would lug the engine. Some even will downshift if you floor the accelerator when in tiptronic mode.

And yes, if yours is 2003 Mazda 3, and it’s an automatic, which the tiptronic is, then it only has a four speed transmission.

Your car does not top out at 140 MPH. The max speed listed on the speedometer, is not necessarily indicative of what a given car’s top speed is in the real world.

Your car is electronically limited to 118 MPH

1 Like

What may seem to be…obvious…may indeed be…less than obvious.

Yup!
Just because the speedometer of my Outback reads up to 140 mph, I have never assumed (rightfully so) that it was capable of that speed.
Similarly, the OP is delusional if he actually thinks that his Mazda 3 is capable of reaching 140–despite the numbers on his speedometer.

:confused:

1 Like

I only wish that were true. My kids drive on public roads too, and their families ride with them. :imp:

Having said that, nobody can diagnose the problem over the internet. It needs a qualified tranny guy to look at it hands-on. Until it’s diagnosed, all bets are off.

The OP finally realized he had a 4 speed auto, not a manual transmission.

Which explains why it doesn’t shift into 5th or 6th.

I dont know man im finding it hard to believe because i really thought it did i have a 2004 mazda 3 s 2.3 L
and it still doesnt explain why i cant even reach 100 on 4th gear if that really is my last gear

Why do you want to go 100mph so badly? Have you ever been 100mph?

May be time to stop feeding the Troll.

You might think im trolling but i swear on my life i thought i had a serious problem but i guess i dont so whatever but i thanks everyone anyway

And yea my top speed i hit in that car was 110 i believe on route 21 going towards Patterson, NJ with a bunch of my friends, stupid yes i know but its not really about the speed thing im just saying i dont think my car is giving out the same power as it used to and thats whats troubling me.

What you thought was your fifth gear was your lock-up torque converter clutch engaging. When it engages it feels like an additional gear. It’s apparently malfunctioning. Not an unusual problem.

While I don’t like your choice of language, at least you have confirmed what most of us were thinking…
:smirk:

2 Likes

Please save that disgusting, filthy language for you own home. This is a family friendly forum.

3 Likes

This is the makings of a classic teenage-driver tragedy.

1 Like

…especially given the congested nature of Route 21 in NJ, along with some fairly sharp curves on a highway that hasn’t been updated since the early '60s.
And, just for the record, the city referred to by the OP is spelled “Paterson”, NOT “Patterson”.

:imp:

Based on this, and your desire to go over 120mph- you should absolutely pull your transmission out and take a look at it.

and then probably just leave it out…

Reminds me of the test drive I took in a 1956 VW Beetle. I was on a two lane highway going west of town and had that VW up to 100. I was rather amazed when a 1955 Chevy passed me with no problem. I took a pass on the VW BEETLE because the odometer read 64000. This was back in 1962 and we didn’t know how long a VW engine would last. When I discussed the car with a mechanic, he said that a VW would be hard pressed to hit 70. He then asked how high the speedometer read and I said it went to 120. He thought for a second and said, “You were driving a VW that wasn’t converted for the U.S. You were going 100 km/hr or 62 mph”. I still tell people that I had a Beetle up to 100.

1 Like

When first introduced to the US, the VW bus couldn’t publish the government mandated 0-60 MPH time, 'cause it couldn’t do 60.

Sorry i didnt know 3 year olds come on this website to see if their transmission has a 5th and 6th gear.

The part about route 21 not being updated since the 60s i dont deny but the part about 21 being congested at like 3am at night false… Ive driven on a lot of empty road on that route late at night especially on that stretch coming out of Newark going towards the Lincoln Tunnel. And granted there are “some” decent turns… But hey thats what abs is for right.? And also what is this term OP im being referred to.