2004 Mazda 3 NOT SHIFTING INTO 5TH GEAR TRANNY PROBLEM?

This is an example from the 1990’s;

Ive never seen one like that but this is a pic from the same car as mine that i found on google.

So the tiptronic transmission internals are configured more like an automatic transmission, with planetary gears, multiple clutch plates, and a hydraulic valve body, rather than like a normal manual transmission configured with the two parallel shafts and gears meshing between them and the synchronizers & such? Interesting.

That photo you post OP sort of reminds me of how I seem to recall my neighbor’s Porsche Boxster looks.

It’s physically an automatic transmission; (torque converter, solenoids, the whole bit). “Tiptronic” is just branding, most automakers have a brand name for their version of it. Chrysler used “autostick”, GM use “TAPshift”, Ford uses “Selectshift” but they all amount to the same thing. Since automatic transmissions have been electronically controlled for the last 20 years or so, it’s not that difficult to incorporate a feature where the user can tell the transmission when to shift. This can be done via a lever that can be bumped forward or backwards for upshifts and downshifts. or paddles, or even buttons on the steering wheel. You don’t get any of the benefits of a manual like a direct connection to the wheels (unless the torque converter is locked up), and the shifts generally aren’t as fast as a manual (or automated manual), but it does give the driver the ability to dictate when the transmission shifts. There are safeguards built in so that the driver can’t force a downshift at too high an RPM or an upshit at too low an RPM. Some models have more hand-holding than others, Toyota’s version actually takes it upon itself to downshift automatically whenever it deems necessary even in manual mode, and most of them will automatically return the transmission to 1st when the car is stopped without the driver doing anything.

That’s when you get into “automated manual” or “dual clutch transmissions”, these are not automatic transmissions in the physical sense, but they do shift gears automatically. They are transmissions that more closely resemble manuals but don’t have clutch peddles, the transmissions are shifted with a lever or paddles usually. The clutch(es) are automatically controlled by computer. It used to be that only exotics had these transmissions, but they’ve trickled down to more mundane cars the newer Ford Focus and some VW models. The benefits are that the transmissions shift quickly, and you get all of the efficiency and performance of a manual. The downsides are reliability and they don’t tend to work exceptionally well at lower vehicle speeds. Dual clutch models tend to be smoother.

1 Like

Well i was very hesitant to use the manual shifting at first but then when i started to use it, it was just so simple and began to use it regularly and another thing about that i dont really like though is that it will downshift for you automatically if your going to slow of a speed for the gear that your on.

So do you now have an idea what to do next to figure out what’s wrong OP? Since this is really more like an automatic transmission, you’ll have to use the automatic transmission debug methods. No experience w/your specific hardware, but that usually means the first order of business is to check the tranny fluid level, and if that’s ok, do a proper tranny service. Drop the pan, clean it out, sieve the old fluid to check for any signs of metal debris, change the transmission filter, button everything back up , and refill with fresh fluid. If that helps, but doesn’t solve it. Do it again after about a week of driving.

Lmao :smiley: :smile: :smiley: Yea we figured out what happened man.

Allow us to enlighten you. As you move from high school locker rooms and frat houses to the real world you will find that there are pockets of existence that have standards of decorum. When moving through those areas, it’s generally a good idea to conform your behavior to those standards, especially when you are asking people in them to give you something for free.

7 Likes

Well stated, shadow. A tip of the hat to you. :relaxed:

1 Like

You expect me to pay for advice otherwise?

nybaby30, what this community expects is for posters to exhibit good manners and respect for others. Both are reasonably easy to manage for most people.

2 Likes

There are some people around here that protest when words are misspelled, best to just move on with life.