2004 Honda Element - Brake Transmission Shift Interlock

Hello,
I found today that when I depress and release the brake while my car is in park, there is a clicking sound coming from the gear shift. It only occurs in park and other works fine. I have done some research and some say that it is the solenoid in the Brake Transmission Shift Interlock.

Does anyone know for sure if this is the case? If it is, is this something that I should get fixed and could fix myself? I am fine with the clicking, I just don’t want to not be able to shift the car into and out of park.

Thank you, very much, in advance.

What you’re hearing is the shift lock solenoid clicking.

So the problem might not be with the shift lock solenoid itself. But instead a poor connection inside the brake pedal switch itself to the solenoid.

Tester

I agree. That device prevents you from putting the tranny in gear unless your foot in on the brakes. It’s for your safety.

If you’re the car’s original owner and the noise is new, the solenoid/interlock assembly may be dying. If the vehicle is new to you, do the research to prepare to change it, but don’t rush in too fast… it may be normal for the vehicle.