2002 VW Passat - noise from air duct

I have a 2002 VW Passat (GLS, 1.8T auto), recently I noticed a noise from the air duct when travelling at low speed or when I turn (left or right). I took it to the shop but the noise was back after 3 weeks. Does anyone know the reason for this noise. The noise is kind of annoying when driving.

Thanks for your help.

Unless you can provide some description of the type of noise, everyone will just be shooting in the dark, so to speak. Telling us that you hear “a noise” and asking us to diagnose the problem is very similar to phoning your M.D., stating “I don’t feel well”, and expecting him/her to know how to treat your illness.

From your posting, it sounds like the shop was able to eliminate the noise, at least temporarily. What did they do? If you don’t recall, take a look at the repair invoice and report back to us.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. We need more information as to the nature of this “noise,” and what was done by “the shop.”

Apologize for being more specific.

It sounds like a squeaking noise and remains that way as long as the steering is turned left or right, but more when turing left and dont hear anything when driving stratight. Does not sound like something is rubbing against anything. Recently noticed that I dont hear it when the air is turned off.

Initially I was told that it was something to do with the brakes, then it was the right and left front axle assembly and now that I dont hear the nosie when the unit is turned off I am told it is the motor and that is going bad.

Hope this helps.
Thank You.

Apologize for being more specific.

It sounds like a squeaking noise and remains that way as long as the steering is turned left or right, but more when turing left and dont hear anything when driving stratight. Does not sound like something is rubbing against anything. Recently noticed that I dont hear it when the air is turned off.

Initially I was told that it was something to do with the brakes, then it was the right and left front axle assembly and now that I dont hear the nosie when the unit is turned off I am told it is the motor and that is going bad.

Hope this helps.
Thank You.

Does your 02 Passat have a serpentine belt? before doing anything more expensive, buy a can spray can of belt dressing. Then spray the serpentine belt.

You mention both AC and PS having something to do with the noise. Suspect the serpentine drive belt is squeaking.

Belt dressing might help in the short term, but if the serpentine belt is the original, it is time for it to be changed. And, if the belt needs to be changed, be sure that your mechanic checks the belt tensioner also, as that may be part of the problem.