2002 Toyota Highlander swaying on Highway

I have an AWD 02 HL that is sloppy on the highway when switching lanes. When you turn the steering wheel left or right the rear end goes one way and the front end goes another way. Responds like a boat would in water. I noticed this about a month ago. Been to Toyota, Sears, Conrads put new tires on as I was told my 245 70 16 could be causing the problem. Conrads put 225 70 16 Yokohama Geolander GO51 on and still very sloppy on the highway. I had new struts put on as well. Every mechanic I take it too says they don’t see any issues with control arms, bushings or stab bars or anything else to do with the suspension. What can I do? It has 95,000 miles.

I have known people with both Ford Explorers and Nissan Pathfinders who had this exact problem. In both cases, a broken Anti-Sway Bar link was the culprit.

I believe that these were vertical links, and a broken vertical link is not necessarily as visible as a broken Anti-Sway Bar would be. Your mechanic may have to look a bit more carefully to find the offending part.

I have known people with both Ford Explorers and Nissan Pathfinders who had this exact problem. In both cases, a broken Anti-Sway Bar link was the culprit.

With the Pathfinders for years 97 - 99 they had problems with the Rear control arm bushings. They would get worn out and you’d have to replace the bushings or the whole control arms.

A bad bushing may not be found with a visual inspection. Take it some place and have them REMOVE the bushings. This may cost you some money, but IMO it’s worth it. This could be a major safety issue.