2002 Ford F150 cruise control intermittently works

Cruise control. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. To get it to work I have to push the engage button numerous times, 5 to 10 times, within a few seconds. Sometimes this will work, but it will usually will disengage, after a few seconds, without depressing the brake pedal or pushing the off button. This has been happening for a couple of years now and I would like to know how to fix it.

Make sure the recall was performed on the cruise control switch. Ford had a big problem with these failing and catching the truck on fire.

Take your left foot and place it behind the brake pedal and lift up on the brake pedal.

Now try engaging the cruise control.

If the cruise control works, the brake pedal switch is either out of adjustment or defective.

Tester

Yeah agree. If you can determine if it is electrical or not by seeing if the cruise light goes off or not when it disengages. If the light goes off, I’d be looking at the switch or brake pedal as Tester suggested. If not electrical, is this vacuum controlled? Could be a leaky valve int he cruise unit itself under the hood. In the old days, on one of my Buicks, I used to have to spruce up the valve seal from time to time due to a poor seal and the thing would not engage or engage for a while and then go off.