2002 Buick failure of multifunction switch

When I lift the multifunction switch (turn signal,cruise control,wiper control) to the bright position and release the switch, instead of staying on bright it immediately falls back to dim. Is there a fix for this or must I change out the switch? If the later, is it just a matter of unplugging the old and plugging in the new? Or must I pull the steering wheel and chase wires to some distant point(s)? I changed out a wiring harness on a Ranger a few years ago and hate the thought of experiencing that kind of “pain” and frustration.

The entire switch needs replaced. Multifunction switches are a bear to replace. I would let an experienced, independent mechanic replace it. The airbag system is involved so don’t be tempted to replace it yourself. It could be very dangerous.

GM multifunction switches of this vintage seem to have a high failure rate. I replaced the switch on my 2000 Blazer a few years ago. It was a pain to replace even with the instructions.

I’m assuming your high beam switch is not working. Before replacing the switch, try spraying the base of the switch at the steering column with CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner to clean the contacts. The switch costs about $200 and figure on a few hours of labor to replace it.

Ed B.

Before you replace it check to see if you are not mistakenly activating the daytime passing switch. Some vehicles if not all by now have this feature to allow you to illuminate the brights for an instant to “tell” a vehicle ahead of you it’s ok to change lanes.

Try to push the stalk forward and see if the brights illuminate and stay on bright. If so that is your bright position and pulling back on the stalk is the daytime passing lamps.

I have changed this switch before and it is not a huge pain but tedious and time consuming. You need to follow instructions to disable the SRS system. Then pull the bag (special tool might be required), pull the steering wheel with a special puller and then depress a spring loaded plate (the name eludes me now)with another special puller. It may not be cost effective to do after the purchase fo the pullers.

Thank you for your response. This is a fairly expensive repair, but I was not eager to try after my last mis-adventure.

Thank you for your response. This is a fairly expensive repair, but I was not eager to try after my last mis-adventure. I will try the spray. However, the cost of the switch is over $500. Labor is estimated locally between $135 and $200.

Thank you for your response. This is a fairly expensive repair, but I was not eager to try after my last mis-adventure. Thanks for the tip. I immediately went to check, but alas that is not the answer.

The last time I had a problem like this on a Plymouth Reliant I took the headlight wires out of the column as high as I could cut them and put an old style foot dimmer switch on the floor with thread cutting screws.